View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff

Of course i take these on a case by case basis. But following the philosophy of advantage/disadvantage, I'd let that contact go most of the time (in a Varsity game especially).

If you do call that foul, you've actually put the offended team at a greater disadvantage; freethrows are more difficult than lay-ups.

With that said, a foul call could be warranted, depending on the severity of the contact and situation in the game. Either coach could get really upset that you did not call that foul.

What if the coach of Team B was trying to stop the clock? Now, his player has committed an obvious foul in an attempt to extend the game. If you don't call the foul in that situation you'll have the coach of Team B questioning your judgement.

That's a touchy situation and you have to be careful how you respond to any questions the coaches may be asking (yelling), about why you did or did not call the foul.

I guess my long answer is...I don't call the foul most of the time, but I try to be cognizant of the game situation and if warranted, calling that foul could be a must.

Hope that helps.

Jake