The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

While I think in some places the ruling on this has changed here is the situation anyways.

There is 5 seconds left in the game, Team B is shooting a one and one, they make the first one, giving them a 2 point lead over Team A. Team A calls a timeout. Team A also has the possession arrow.

The referee hands the ball to the shooter, once the shooter recieves the ball for his second shot, Team A's player, who has the low position, invites Team B's player to take the lower spot and they switch. (The shooter already has the ball).

Do you call the double violation, which results in a jump ball, giving possession to Team A with 5 seconds left or do you make them switch back and not call the violation? (This may or may not have been a specific tactic by the coach)
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 06:20pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The officials are responsible for ensuring the bottom two spots are filled by the defense. IMO, once the shooter has the ball, that responsibility is completed.

If A moved first, you could penalize only this act and not B's movement. Result: delayed FT violation.

If B moved out of his spot first, which A should do to be 100% sneaky, you might have to use the arrow. I find it unlikely that we can read the mind of the A player, to maybe rule this act was deliberate.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 06:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bekays
While I think in some places the ruling on this has changed here is the situation anyways.

There is 5 seconds left in the game, Team B is shooting a one and one, they make the first one, giving them a 2 point lead over Team A. Team A calls a timeout. Team A also has the possession arrow.

The referee hands the ball to the shooter, once the shooter recieves the ball for his second shot, Team A's player, who has the low position, invites Team B's player to take the lower spot and they switch. (The shooter already has the ball).

Do you call the double violation, which results in a jump ball, giving possession to Team A with 5 seconds left or do you make them switch back and not call the violation? (This may or may not have been a specific tactic by the coach)

Guys (meaning you old geezers like me), help me out here. I am getting ready to go to an athletic boosters meeting and I only have time to look in this year's casebook and the play I am looking for isn't in the book this year.

But, I am sure that this play was covered in a ruling made a number of years ago and the ruling was that the only violation is by the Team A player (even though the Team B player may be considered guilty of stupidity). The violation by A is a delayed dead ball violation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 08:34pm
In Memoriam

One of my guys saw this on this forum and asked me about it at our meeting tonight. It's a call straight out of the case book:

Case book play 9.1.4SitB-COMMENT- "If a team B player uses verbal tactics like 'you're in my space'...to fake an opponent into violations, then only the fake is penalized".

Iow, it's a delayed free-throw violation only on the A player in the bottom slot. If the B FT-shooter misses the second shot, he'll just re-shoot it. If the FT by B is made, you ignore the violation by the A player.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
One of my guys saw this on this forum and asked me about it . . .
JR's back!! JR's back!!
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

JR

good to have you back.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 04:48pm
Administrator

Quote:
One of my guys saw this on this forum and asked me about it at our meeting tonight. It's a call straight out of the case book:

Case book play 9.1.4SitB-COMMENT- "If a team B player uses verbal tactics like 'you're in my space'...to fake an opponent into violations, then only the fake is penalized".

Iow, it's a delayed free-throw violation only on the A player in the bottom slot. If the B FT-shooter misses the second shot, he'll just re-shoot it. If the FT by B is made, you ignore the violation by the A player.

Thank you JR. We old geezers need to stick together.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 05:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]
We old geezers need to stick together.

[/B][/QUOTE]The feelings mucilage.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

I seem to recall from previous discussions here that once the shooter has the ball, if the players in the bottom blocks are switched it's an automatic double violation: on A for not being in the lower block when he should be; on B for being in the lower block when he shouldn't. This violation would occur before the aforementioned switching of places. Am I mistaken on this?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 09:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I seem to recall from previous discussions here that once the shooter has the ball, if the players in the bottom blocks are switched it's an automatic double violation: on A for not being in the lower block when he should be; on B for being in the lower block when he shouldn't. This violation would occur before the aforementioned switching of places. Am I mistaken on this?
According to the original post, a B player is shooting, and A is in the lower block and B is in the second spot. That's exactly where they're supposed to be, by rule.

Am I missing something, BITS?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
According to the original post, a B player is shooting, and A is in the lower block and B is in the second spot. That's exactly where they're supposed to be, by rule.

Am I missing something, BITS?
One of us is. And it's not you.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: JR

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
good to have you back.
ditto