The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Halftime of JV boys game. Varsity player, in uniform with warmup top, joins the JV players for shoot-around. He dunks while the refs are on the court.

Is this varsity player a "team member" and thus given a T for the ilegal dunk? 4-34-4 says a team member is "a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player." 4-34-2 says bench personnel are "all individuals who are part of or affiliated with a team including, but not limited to: substitutes, coaches, manager(s) and statistician(s)."

Our board interpreter said it should be a T for the dunk and the official should have the scorer add the varsity player to the score book. Then it is a second T for the administrative penalty.

I am having a hard time getting past the definition of "team member." I read the key language of 4-34-2 "including, but not limited to..." as referring to other non-players such as trainers, injured players not in uniform but sitting on the bench, etc. I do not see how it includes a varsity player who is not on the bench nor part of the JV team. But...there can be no doubt a varsity player is "affiliated" with the JV team.

The irony is this came up at our board meeting on Thursday night, when the interpreter explained how this should be handled. And a ref I worked with on Sunday said he had the exact play in his game on Friday night. So the officials handled it as directed by the interpreter. But the JV coach was not happy that the opponents got to start the second half with four free throws and the ball.