LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 08:16am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
This was PR based.

I would resign from a conference that pulled a stunt like this.
Sure you would. That's bull$hit, and we all know it.

The T shouldn't have been called. They screwed up.
Good post!

Sometimes it is funny to see commments that insinuate we (officials) are never wrong. It is even funnier when the person handing out the punishment was an official a year ago and some would think he could do no wrong. From the smallest to the biggest games, mistakes are made. This is just another mistake and some good could come out of it in the long run just like what started the whole use of the monitor.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 08:18am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Quote:

How can you be so sure unless you were right there and seen and heard what the Officials did? I reserve judgement until such time as I am in the same position as this crew. [/B]
What do you mean the same position? You have never had a player get upset and all up in another player's face? OR, are you saying it has to be Duke/Florida St.?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 08:34am
MABO Member

I have seen similar situations but not one identical to this crew faced. As I am sure, no one can say they have. Unless they were a part of that crew. I am not saying the suspension is justified or defending the Officiating crew I am simply saying unless you are in their shoes how can you pass judgement they screwed up. Did the Official heard an F bomb fly, was the player simply trying to just get a way after the hard foul. I don't know.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 08:46am
Huck Finn

So what did you do in your similar situation?

If I'm not 100% sure, I'm not going to give a T.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

I gotta believe all the details were considered and the crew fully consulted before the suspension was decided upon. Whether it was PR related or rightly deserved, we may never know. But hopefully the crew was listened to and the situation was fully discussed openly before the decision was made. Afterall, we get the same consideration and benefit from our assignors whenever a coach calls, don't we?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have seen similar situations but not one identical to this crew faced. As I am sure, no one can say they have. Unless they were a part of that crew. I am not saying the suspension is justified or defending the Officiating crew I am simply saying unless you are in their shoes how can you pass judgement they screwed up. Did the Official heard an F bomb fly, was the player simply trying to just get a way after the hard foul. I don't know.
SmokeEater, The conference officials investigate a situation that they question. Part of that investigation involves asking the officials what the circumstances were.
The officials had no reason to whistle-up a T that was acceptable to the conference officials.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 08:57am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
So what did you do in your similar situation?

If I'm not 100% sure, I'm not going to give a T.
tomegun, I had a couple of kids banging chests together the other night, they were jawing at each other up and down the court. I gave them a quick warning to knock off the extra curriculars, which they ignored. Next time down they crash into each other. Double foul. Red team player turns and mouths the F sharp to the other kid, whack he got a T. I was close enough to see what he was saying but not to hear the word, didn't matter, to me he was instigating more. I reported the fouls and by the time I was done the Red coach had a sub for the kid and he never played the remainder of the game. 15-17yr old boys club ball. That was my situation. Did the kid deserve a T, In my opinion YES. Perhaps not in others but they were not in my shoes.

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 09:00am
MABO Member

I agree with You guys that all the details were probably reviewed. I just have a hard time saying absolutely "they screwed up" unless I was in the same situation exactly.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 09:02am
Huck Finn

Quote:
[BI had a couple of kids banging chests together the other night, they were jawing at each other up and down the court. [/B]
OK, now I see that we have different tolerances for this. They might go up the court jawing, but they surely wouldn't come back down the court jawing! I guess you allow a little more taunting and baiting than I do.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 09:06am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

OK, now I see that we have different tolerances for this. They might go up the court jawing, but they surely wouldn't come back down the court jawing! I guess you allow a little more taunting and baiting than I do. [/B]
Usually I try to put a stop to it right away. The up and down was a quick fast break and then turn over back the other way. I dont allow taunting when I notice it right away. Also, I still for the life of me dont know what set these two off. It was a really good game, clean and competitive. After that though, Red just couldn't hit a shot to save their life and ended up losing by almost 40.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

How can you be so sure unless you were right there and seen and heard what the Officials did? I reserve judgement until such time as I am in the same position as this crew. [/B]
2 reasons.

#1, John Clougherty would not have taken the action that he did if both players deserved a T.

#2, Because I saw the game on TV and I've talked to people close to the situation.

The FSU deserved the intentional foul. He did not seserve the T. He didn't say anything or do anything to get a T. The officials made a mistake. They went with offsetting technical fouls, thinking that was the best way to handle it. But they didn't realize that Johnson now has 5 fouls.

Whether YOU have ever been in the same situation or not has absolutely zero to do with my opinion, and evidently the opinion of the ACC office, that they screwed up.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs down Oh Boy

Just another gotcha whenever Duke is playing. I guess you have to be Politically Correct in those types of games. Is it me or are officials' judgement being questioned?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I admittedly didn't read the article, but they were discussing this on the radio while I was on my way to my last lower level game of the season (and possibly one of the last of my career, I might give them up next season). They made it sound as though there were more problems in the game, that Duke was given a few no calls and calls late. Any truth to this part. I didn't see the game.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 09:30am
MABO Member

Quote:

2 reasons.

#1, John Clougherty would not have taken the action that he did if both players deserved a T.

#2, Because I saw the game on TV and I've talked to people close to the situation.

The FSU deserved the intentional foul. He did not seserve the T. He didn't say anything or do anything to get a T. The officials made a mistake. They went with offsetting technical fouls, thinking that was the best way to handle it. But they didn't realize that Johnson now has 5 fouls.

I do not disagree with the decision of the suspension, never said did. I will say again If you were not in their shoes you CAN NOT say they "screwed up". They made a judgement decision that was deemed to be in error. So be it, IMO they may have made a good call, I don't know because I wasn't there. That is the point I am making.

Quote:
Whether YOU have ever been in the same situation or not has absolutely zero to do with my opinion, and evidently the opinion of the ACC office, that they screwed up. [/B]
Don't get all defensive because others have different opinions then you.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

The ACC is very high profile, and one of the consequences of officiating in this conference is the occasional crow-eating. The supervisor has been known to make officials formally apologize to coaches for blown calls. However, this is not a secret and officials know what to expect when they're hired.