The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Jeff this wasn't boys varsity, it was girls jv.

sun -- I've always struggled with getting beat, and here are some ways I'm starting (just this season) to deal with it better.

Evaluators in my neck of the woods are pretty harsh on trail being too far back during half-court play, and especially if we take a step back during the shot and rebounding action. I try to step down one good stretch when the shot goes up, and then as soon as it touches the rim, I'll rotate myself to be prepared to beat the fast break. If the ball bounces out to the top of the key, or if a player starts back, even without the ball, I"ll start a sprint, even if it means coming right back again. If the ball rebounds way out, and I start to go, and then it goes back in for another shot, I just step back down again. This has helped a lot.

Also, if there is a fast break with the opponents side-by-side, one or two quick, long steps early on should put you in a good position out front. Stay wide enough that you can get a good angle between the players. If you see that you're not going to make it, drop back, and step toward the center, so that you can see between.

Around here the unwritten rule is that you shouldn't get beaten more than once or twice a game, except with a couple of specific teams that really make a religion of the fast-break plays.

If you work on it at the jv girls level, concentrating on the timing and rhythm of stepping down and cheating back at the right moments, you'll be able to move it up to varsity pretty easily.
Rainmaker, I'm with you on the step down thing with the shot but I'm not sprinting anywhere til the rebound is secured. Just because a kid takes of on a snowbird, doesn't mean there won't be a scrum on the boards. Stay put and referee, when the ball goes to the other end, then go down there and referee. That's my take on this.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 02:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Jeff this wasn't boys varsity, it was girls jv.

sun -- I've always struggled with getting beat, and here are some ways I'm starting (just this season) to deal with it better.

Evaluators in my neck of the woods are pretty harsh on trail being too far back during half-court play, and especially if we take a step back during the shot and rebounding action. I try to step down one good stretch when the shot goes up, and then as soon as it touches the rim, I'll rotate myself to be prepared to beat the fast break. If the ball bounces out to the top of the key, or if a player starts back, even without the ball, I"ll start a sprint, even if it means coming right back again. If the ball rebounds way out, and I start to go, and then it goes back in for another shot, I just step back down again. This has helped a lot.

Also, if there is a fast break with the opponents side-by-side, one or two quick, long steps early on should put you in a good position out front. Stay wide enough that you can get a good angle between the players. If you see that you're not going to make it, drop back, and step toward the center, so that you can see between.

Around here the unwritten rule is that you shouldn't get beaten more than once or twice a game, except with a couple of specific teams that really make a religion of the fast-break plays.

If you work on it at the jv girls level, concentrating on the timing and rhythm of stepping down and cheating back at the right moments, you'll be able to move it up to varsity pretty easily.
Rainmaker, I'm with you on the step down thing with the shot but I'm not sprinting anywhere til the rebound is secured. Just because a kid takes of on a snowbird, doesn't mean there won't be a scrum on the boards. Stay put and referee, when the ball goes to the other end, then go down there and referee. That's my take on this.
2-person is a system of compromises. One needs to choose where to compromise.

I agree, if there's rebounding action, I have to help. But if the rebound is completely uncontested, the game is better served with me on the other end. And only experience tells you when to head upcourt.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Getting beat from time to time is part of what we do. IMO, someone who NEVER gets beat is cheating the rebounding action from his trail position. There is even times when it's acceptable to get beat in 3-person but this should not be a consistant thing. I'm with your crewchief, you should not get beat more than once in a GJV game and maybe not even that much. Maybe get some faster shoes.

AMEN TO THAT, just said! "Someone who NEVER gets beat is cheating the rebounding action from his trail position."

Welcome to the forum, suntzu45. -excellent place learn (here) and to ask questions like this.

We usually and gotta, and hafta, and need to take a step (or 2) TOWARDS the rebounding action on EVERY (or most) shot(s). A common faux-pas -is that everything under the basket is lead's call. Of course, that's utterly ridiculous and is maybe furthest from the truth, as we all know.

Quite often, that coach who is ripping my a$$--as I'm getting beat (and running past him, table side) to the baseline, (to a 'straight-line-look')--for a no-call that he really thinks my partner missed, which had occurred on the backside rebounding play(s), where [the coach] may have actually had the same view/angle that I would've had if I'd a not turned my head to run or cheated back.

Point is IMO: -First, atleast see the play so that we know what the coach is even b1tchin about.

Second: Lead partners need that help, anyway; and most would/should want it. Good P's stay in there (as trail.)

Thirdly, as MICK suggested, "the 28' mark as the initial set-up for Trail," probably is interpretted as: "ya gotta be atleast inside that mark," and that's to start, right Mick?
IMO, try not to have a reference pt or some limit-line as to how far we DON'T hafta go. We still may (and can) miss the play. If we gotta go to the free-throw line-ext'd, then we gotta. Or if we gotta step in, we step in. It should be more about the angle--and like a Center (in3person). Atleast C is where more of the better angles are. And for me, I'd rather have the better angles. I hate to guess on the plays--so my solution: (try to not or) make it so you don't hafta guess. We may have to guess if our vision/angle is closed down--straight-lined. Or we passed on it. I say, See it so we can judge "pass" on it.

Third, if we still can't get back, timely enough--cuz there are those transitions that we just can't be back for--then we've either gotta work-out, get in shape (and it's not Pear Shape,) and be physically fit to earn our money, to earn our keep, and to earn our integrity. (IMO)

Lastly, we have a mechanics issue/problem.

I mean, the game's about the athletes--student-athletes that is--and we could or may rob something from that, if we're not athletes, too. And not "used-to be's."

As has been mentioned, there are ways and times to cheat, but in the majority, we can still stay and wait, and ref the play, wait for the rebound(secured), and then take off (sprinting to the baseline.) As Fronheiser eluded to: "let experience dictate."

Then there's the "button-hook." ChrisSprtsFan mentioned it: "Stay wide enough that you can get a good angle between the players. If you see that you're not going to make it, drop back, and step toward the center, so that you can see between." --the button hook. And Fronheiser: "I'll get an angle from behind. Doesn't bother me a bit." And, quite frankly, nor does it me.

Look it up; it's a great tool, IMO.

And I echo this, for sure:

JRutledge:

I think you will get beat more than a few times under the right circumstances in games. Many of these kids are pretty good athletes and if we all think we are not going to get beat we are not being honest with ourselves.

Mick, the 28' mark is usually a good start. On a shot I will go as low as the top of the 3 point line. If the Trail has to call a foul in the lane on a rebound he/she should not be much higher than the 3 point line in my opinion. Most of the players are going to go inside the 3 point line on most rebounds and you will get beat if the ball comes off the rim hard and a team starts throwing the ball up court. I know when I work games I might get beat 4 or 5 times if the right kind of style is played.

Peace