The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I just got home from watching a varsity game and wanted to be sure I was correct with this rule . We were watching boys Varsity ball and our player went out of bounds going after the ball( out of bound slightly ) . He came back in to go after the ball and the official blew the whistle and indicated it was the other teams' ball. Our Varsity girls coach ( sitting next to me ) asked me if that was correct and I said I thought they had to leave intentionally ( to avoid a screen ). The official was very consistent with this call because he called it on the other team as well ( he made 4 of these calls during the game ) . The Girls Varsity coach left with my interpretation of the rule ( he thought the same ; the rule was in place for players going out of bounds to use a screen ) . I want to be sure I have it correct . Any help is appreciated .

Thanks
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 12:00am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Speaking from a non-offficial point of view:

I believe if a player momentarily and inadvertantly goes out of bounds and gets back inbounds ASAP, there is no violation. It's when an official judges that the out of bound player is delaying his or her return inbounds that causes the violation.

Hopefully one of our Rule Whizzes can post a cite for us

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

If the players momentum carried him/her out of bounds then it is no call unless they fail to immediately return.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

It was a momentum type of play on all of these calls. I think the official may have been applying it inappropriately. Again, nothing was made of it but I want to be sure I gave the correct info to our girls coach.

Thanks
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

oops

Quote:
Originally posted by RefTip
I just got home from watching a varsity game and wanted to be sure I was correct with this rule . We were watching boys Varsity ball and our player went out of bounds going after the ball( out of bound slightly ) . He came back in to go after the ball and the official blew the whistle and indicated it was the other teams' ball. Our Varsity girls coach ( sitting next to me ) asked me if that was correct and I said I thought they had to leave intentionally ( to avoid a screen ). The official was very consistent with this call because he called it on the other team as well ( he made 4 of these calls during the game ) . The Girls Varsity coach left with my interpretation of the rule ( he thought the same ; the rule was in place for players going out of bounds to use a screen ) . I want to be sure I have it correct . Any help is appreciated .

Thanks
The player leaves the court going after a loose ball and the official called it a violation - he/she must have forgot to read all of the rule.

I don't have my books with me, but the rule that was put in place I believe it was last year is covering the player who goes out of bounds to gain an advantage, miss a screen, or to go around congestion in the lane etc.,

The rule does not say to penalize a player who simply leaves the court chasing a loose ball.

Thansk
David
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:41am
MABO Member

Rule 9.4.1 A player who steps out of bounds under his/her own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has committed a violation.

Just leaving and returning does not constitute a violation you also have to be the first to touch the ball. If there is more to this please I would appreciate enlightenment.

Smoke

[Edited by SmokeEater on Feb 1st, 2006 at 08:44 AM]

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

NFHS rule is a little diferent. It is 9.3.2. A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I saw this called last night in a boys varsity game. Home inbounding on visitor baseline...7.2 seconds left...home team up by 1. A1 attempting to inbound...A2 clearly goes out of bounds to get around B1. Official instantly blew his whistle and made the call.

Home coach wents nuts...I actually thought he was going to pop a blood vessel yelling at HIS PLAYER as he took him out of the game for costing them the possession. I heard him yell twice..."We just talked about that!"

Visiting team inbounds...gets an easy lay-up and wins by 1.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I really like this rules change for this year. I've called it quite a few times, although I try to get one early, rather than late as happened in the above situation. When it happens though, you have to go get it.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
A1 attempting to inbound...A2 clearly goes out of bounds to get around B1. Official instantly blew his whistle and made the call.
Should the call have been made immediately? Should the official not have waited until he/she saw A2 gain an advantage by being the first to touch the ball? Suppose A1 had thrown the ball to A3? There would have been no advantage gained by A2 going out of bounds.

Thanks!
Randall
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Thats the difference between NCAA & NFHS. You call it as soon as it happens in NFHS. In NCAA it is when the player returns inbounds and is first to touch ball.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by wfd21
In NCAA it is when the player returns inbounds and is first to touch ball.
Even in NCAA, it's an immediate violation if it occurs during a designated spot throw-in. 9-5-2a.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats the difference between NCAA & NFHS. You call it as soon as it happens in NFHS. In NCAA it is when the player returns inbounds and is first to touch ball.
If memory serves me correctly, I believe I've heard from my association that we should wait until the player receives the ball. Otherwise, there's no advantage. If a player goes out of bounds to avoid a player and then is not involved in the subsequent play, what advantage was gained? None! Its similar to setting a blind screen without a normal step between the players. You wouldn't call that immediately without there being some contact would you? No, because there was no advantage gained from the illegal screen until contact was made.

Anyone else hearing the same thing about not calling the violation until the playing going out of bounds touches the ball?

Thanks!
Randall

Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I suppose you can / should do as your association advises. However, the rule is you call it when they go out in NFHS. It does not matter if they receive the ball or not.

The rule is the rule. You can do as you or the association sees fit, but I certainly wouldn't think poorly of someone who calls it as the rule states.

BTW, my partner and I had one against each team in the first quarter of our first game of the year. Haven't had it since. One coach had the "What the h..." look on his face. The other knew the rule and just asked, "Was he pushed?" "No, sir. Went out on his own."
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

That's what I've thought!

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Quote:
If memory serves me correctly, I believe I've heard from my association that we should wait until the player receives the ball. Otherwise, there's no advantage. If a player goes out of bounds to avoid a player and then is not involved in the subsequent play, what advantage was gained? None! Its similar to setting a blind screen without a normal step between the players. You wouldn't call that immediately without there being some contact would you? No, because there was no advantage gained from the illegal screen until contact was made.

Anyone else hearing the same thing about not calling the violation until the playing going out of bounds touches the ball?

Thanks!
Randall

That's the way I've thought it should be interpreted and called; however, I could be wrong, but

IMO, that is the purpose of the rule, to keep a player from gaining an advantage.

Simply a player stepping out of bounds, (could be accidental) I'm not calling it a violation - I just don't see FED wanting that to be the rule.

But sometimes FED is kind of strange on their interpretations.

I've not seen or had to call it this year.

Thanks
David

I'm editing this to add the change from the site -

LEAVING COURT FOR UNAUTHORIZED REASON CHANGED TO VIOLATION (9-3-)2 Typically, this play is seen when an offensive player goes around a low screen, runs outside the end line and returns on the other side of the court free of their defender.

The violation will be called as soon as the player leaves the court.

The committee hopes that changing the penalty will increase the likelihood of the infraction being called and eliminate this tremendous advantage.

Typical NFHS, they want the violation called immediately, but then the committee adds that the reason for putting the rule in the book is because the offensive team gained an advantage.

I still have a hard time calling this when NO advantage is gained since that was the intent of the rule.

This should be cleaned up for next year IMO.

Thanks
David

[Edited by David B on Feb 1st, 2006 at 11:11 AM]