The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

1. When a pass is in the air toward A1 from A2 and A1 recieves the pass but once it is in his hands he drops it, and then he picks it up and starts to dribble. Is this double dribble if he touches the pass and drops it and then dribbles? Or does he need full possesion for so many seconds?

2. A1 and B1 jump it up and A1 jumps and taps it out of bounds with no one else touching it what is the call?
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 03:19pm
MABO Member

1. A fumbled pass reception is not the start of a dribble. So the player may retrieve the ball and start a dribble or pass or shoot.

2. B's ball out of bounds where the ball left the court and possesion arrow to A after the throw in.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, SO she or he needs to have possesion of the ball and then lose it to be double dribble. So it is up to the ref to tell if she or he has possesion.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeRaker
Thanks, SO she or he needs to have possesion of the ball and then lose it to be double dribble. So it is up to the ref to tell if she or he has possesion.
No he/she needs possession and needs to dribble, end the dribble and dribble again. If he/she loses the ball after they catch it, it is still a fumble.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Question about response to item #2 regarding jump ball (I'm assuming this jump ball is to start the game). Rule 4 Section 3 regarding setting direction of initial arrow states that the arrow is set when 1) A player secures control of the ball, as after the jump ball. Sec 12 states that a player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. In #2 where jumper "A" knocks the ball OB without anyone touching it I would have thought that the jump ball would have been replayed since no player or team control had yet been established.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scooter1
Question about response to item #2 regarding jump ball (I'm assuming this jump ball is to start the game). Rule 4 Section 3 regarding setting direction of initial arrow states that the arrow is set when 1) A player secures control of the ball, as after the jump ball. Sec 12 states that a player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. In #2 where jumper "A" knocks the ball OB without anyone touching it I would have thought that the jump ball would have been replayed since no player or team control had yet been established.
The violation throw-in begins the alternating possession sequence.

If you have dual touches causing the ball to go OOB or two players gaining control resulting in a held ball, you re-jump with the players that caused it to go OOB or caused the tie-up.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. When a pass is in the air toward A1 from A2 and A1 recieves the pass but once it is in his hands he drops it, and then he picks it up and starts to dribble. Is this double dribble if he touches the pass and drops it and then dribbles? Or does he need full possesion for so many seconds?

2. A1 and B1 jump it up and A1 jumps and taps it out of bounds with no one else touching it what is the call?
There isn’t any violation or terminology named double-dribble.

I think you meant illegal dribble.

Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:28am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784

[/B]
Johnny, I think you need to refresh yourself with NCAA rule book before you post in general like this. Rule 9.7.1 clearly defines a "Double Dribble"

You are quick to point out errors that others are making on these forums so I thought I would repay the favor. Just in case us guys (gals)have offended you, I appologize in advance.

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Just to place an emphasis for DrakeRaker, who seems like s/he's trying to get this figured out. A fumble is never a dribble - for there to be a dribble, there must be an intentional throwing or tapping of the ball to the ground. To understand when there is an illegal dribble (or in lay, or apparently NCAA parlance, double dribble), you need to know (a) what constitutes a dribble and (b) what constitutes the end of a dribble.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by scooter1
The violation throw-in begins the alternating possession sequence.

If you have dual touches causing the ball to go OOB or two players gaining control resulting in a held ball, you re-jump with the players that caused it to go OOB or caused the tie-up.
Blind Z is correct but just to put it in layman terms: the ball still went out-of-bound, OOB, off of jumper A1. This means it is going to now be Team B's ball where it went out. This act, as BZ said, determines the possesion and the arrow will now be set so Team A will get the next possession.

I've screwed this up before; so I have consequently done the research... and paid the penalty.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Oh. And I wanted to add to the thread that you can't travel during a fumble ... I had a partner that called this a couple times the other night. Player is receiving a pass, fumbles it, and is moving to secure control... tweet ... travel. Uuughh.

I mumbled around my whistle, "You can't travel without control." I thought I was pretty quiet but as I headed for the other end I heard the coach say "I agree." Ooops.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Quote:

Johnny, I think you need to refresh yourself with NCAA rule book before you post in general like this. Rule 9.7.1 clearly defines a "Double Dribble"

You are quick to point out errors that others are making on these forums so I thought I would repay the favor. Just in case us guys (gals)have offended you, I appologize in advance.

Smoke [/B]
No need to apologize. I would not accept one even if it were warranted.

You seem to feel very funny but like how? Are you being sarcastic while behind your computer screen acting funnier than your own twins, Lefty and Righty?

The original post or your own postings did not reference to a college game.

I stand by my earlier post, there is no such thing as a double dribble...

[Edited by bob jenkins on Feb 2nd, 2006 at 04:30 PM]
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Quote:

Smoke
No need to apologize. I would not accept one even if it were warranted.

You seem to feel very funny but like how? Are you being sarcastic while behind your computer screen acting funnier than your own twins, Lefty and Righty?

The original post or your own postings did not reference to a college game.

I stand by my earlier post, there is no such thing as a double dribble...

[/B]
SECTION 5 ILLEGAL DRIBBLE

A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:

ART. 1 . . . A try for field goal.

ART. 2 . . . A bat by an opponent.

ART. 3 . . . A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

PENALTY: (Section 5) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.

Hmmmm, second/double get a thesaurus and stop acting like that.

[Edited by bob jenkins on Feb 6th, 2006 at 09:57 AM]
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was given this information as a guide in reference to illegal dribbles.

Allowed: Fumble; Dribble; Fumble. You are allowed to fumble a pass; gather the ball dribble as you go to end your dribble fumble grasping the ball. However, you next action must be a try or pass.

Not Allowed: Dribble; Fumble; Dribble. You are not allowed to dribble; end that dribble; fumble gathering the ball and use that fumble to start another a dribble.

Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I just want to clarify a few things about the double, or illegal, dribble. The dribble is the action of throwing or batting the ball to the floor, and then after the ball bounces up, batting the ball to the floor again. The dribble ends when two hands touch the ball at the same time. When we talk about fumbles, we are talking about a situation where the ball momentarily escapes control of the player. If a player is dribbling, and fumbles, then the player may recover the ball and continue dribbling if two hands never touched the ball at the same time. OR the player may recover the ball with two hands, but that ends the dribble.

So when we say fumble, dribble, fumble is legal, what we mean is that you can receive a pass with a fumble, gather the ball with two hands, then begin a dribble, and end the dribble with a fumble. But you can't dribble, then fumble, gather the ball and then redribble. If you can recover the fumble without two hands touching the ball at the same time, you can continue the dribble, but then it's not normally called a fumble.