The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

This past Tuesday we did a boy's varsity game--a physical game at that. Lots of fouls--double bonus both ways early in the 4th. Toward the end of the game (home team winning) we had a skirmish break out after a foul. After that one of my partners went after a player (who got in his face), got in his face and almost decked him!! Luckily we calmed him down and restored order.
After the game we're in the a.d.'s office changing and the home team coach comes in (to call in the score to the newpaper) proceeds to tell us in a stern way how bad we were, how embarrassed we made 2 of his kids look by fouling them out, how we set a bad example for h.s. basketball, that we lost control of the game and everything that happened was our fault. Being in a no-win situation none of us said anything back to him so we left. My question is: is it proper for a coach to do this in the officials room because I always thought the officials room was kind of off limits to the coaches?
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

You did the right thing by not responding - you did the wrong thing by letting the coach in in the first place!
NEVER EVER - let a coach in your locker room for any reason - they can wait to call in a score - or use another phone.
Just makes for a bad situation!

Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I would call up your comissioner and let him know about the incident. You are not suppose to communicate with coaches prior to or after the game. Lockeroom is suppose to be a private place for you to change, talk with your partners and talk trash about coaches.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

He didn't come in there to call in the score, just used that as a reason to come in so he could be a jerk.

Once he was already there and started jawing, about the only thing to say is "bye-bye coach".

Ask your assignor if he wants to call the AD or if you should.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick82358
You did the right thing by not responding - you did the wrong thing by letting the coach in in the first place!
NEVER EVER - let a coach in your locker room for any reason - they can wait to call in a score - or use another phone.
Just makes for a bad situation!
Actually Rick he walked in thru a door behind his desk without us letting him in. He knew we were in there. I think he was eavesdropping on what we were saying and made it his business to have his say-so.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
He didn't come in there to call in the score, just used that as a reason to come in so he could be a jerk.

Once he was already there and started jawing, about the only thing to say is "bye-bye coach".

Ask your assignor if he wants to call the AD or if you should.
I agree he came in just to give us his editorial. I know my partners and I did the right thing by not responding. If we would have said anything it would have caused a heated argument even though I felt like telling him to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. I've already e-mailed the assignor to see if reprimands or anything of the sort is warranted??
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I would call up your comissioner and let him know about the incident. You are not suppose to communicate with coaches prior to or after the game. Lockeroom is suppose to be a private place for you to change, talk with your partners and talk trash about coaches.
I've already e-mailed the assignor.