The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE][
Actually, that's not the case at all. I gladly accept comments such as, "Great call ref" and "Outstanding call ref"
[QUOTE]

Coaches actually say this????????

Quote:

Seriously, my "line" is probably further back than most refs. I allow coaches to vent somewhat, as long as they do it in a controlled, professional manner. Usually, I will try to take the time to explain a call if I feel the coach had a legitimate question. I always take time to explain rule interpretations when asked (at the next break, unless there is a dead ball at the time).

Yes, I almost give coaches a warning, usually using the "stop sign.' However, there are some words and/or attitudes that deserve and require a T without a warning. I'm just saying that I don't see any difference between the remark (for example), "You're garbage" and "That call was garbage."
I think along the same lines as you about the verbage used. "That's Terrible" vs "You're terrible" are equally bad. It sounds like I also share you view of dealing with coaches. I believe this; treat me professionally and I will treat you professionally. Once the behavior becomes unsporting they get a warning, then "WHAM"! I don't put up with a coach trying to show me up or exhibiting demonstrative behavior.