The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
it's a 6-foot-long stick
Now I'm LOLing at your 6-foot long stick that you bring to your games...and everywhere else, I assume.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Now I'm LOLing at your 6-foot long stick that you bring to your games...and everywhere else, I assume.
I use it as a belt (but only in Connecticut).

It wouldn't be gentlemanly to let it drag on the ground.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Serious question

Why do we care if a topic is being brought up that is years old?

That being said, this is not something I would think I would use anyway. It would draw more attention than needed.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Had a situation last night that made me think of this thread, not realizing that it started 8-9 years ago.

Had a GV game last night and for the first time I can ever remember the designated game ball did not even have close to enough pressure. Did the common drop/elbow test and the ball was well short. When holding the ball with two hands and applying pressure with my thumbs I could rather easily indent the ball. I ask for another ball from the guy standing over the cart of ball standing behind the table. He starts feeling all of the balls and I'm surprised that it takes him so long to give me one. The one he ends up handing me is also flat. We get another one. This one too, is underinflated but good enough to go with. The guy jokes that, "we got them from New England."

Toss it up, start the game, and mid way through the 1st quarter I see that the home team has several relatively good perimeter shooters. Several players from both teams hit jump shots that got "shooters rolls."

At this point, I realize that its not an accident that all of the balls are way underinflated. In the end, I didn't care and 99% of the time the issue is with an overinflated ball not the other way around. It was just interesting given all the recent attention to PSI in the NFL. So that's my cool story for the day. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or something that's risen to the level of an issue.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 12:08pm
Administrator

Years ago in an AAU Boys' National Championship pool play game, the HC of one team thought the ball was too "dead" to dribble, and I told him that he should want the ball that way because it would make his players pass the ball instead of dribble it. He agreed and had no more complaints about the ball.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 01:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

When I get an inadequate ball, I swap it out. I don't carry a needle.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Had a situation last night that made me think of this thread, not realizing that it started 8-9 years ago.

Had a GV game last night and for the first time I can ever remember the designated game ball did not even have close to enough pressure. Did the common drop/elbow test and the ball was well short. When holding the ball with two hands and applying pressure with my thumbs I could rather easily indent the ball. I ask for another ball from the guy standing over the cart of ball standing behind the table. He starts feeling all of the balls and I'm surprised that it takes him so long to give me one. The one he ends up handing me is also flat. We get another one. This one too, is underinflated but good enough to go with. The guy jokes that, "we got them from New England."

Toss it up, start the game, and mid way through the 1st quarter I see that the home team has several relatively good perimeter shooters. Several players from both teams hit jump shots that got "shooters rolls."

At this point, I realize that its not an accident that all of the balls are way underinflated. In the end, I didn't care and 99% of the time the issue is with an overinflated ball not the other way around. It was just interesting given all the recent attention to PSI in the NFL. So that's my cool story for the day. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or something that's risen to the level of an issue.
Smart coach
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 01:50pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBlackbur View Post
For about 6 bucks get the 1ump.com "Game Ball Judge, Basketball." It takes about 10 seconds to use it and then you know the ball is right. Bet the AFC Championship Refs wish they'd done something this simple before last week's game.
https://www.1ump.com/
Surprised this spam post hasn't been deleted yet.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 01:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We discussed it and made one-time exception for comedic value.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 03:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Huff, And I'll Puff ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When I get an inadequate ball, I swap it out. I don't carry a needle.
In the case of an underinflated ball, just having a needle probably wouldn't help the matter anyway.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 04:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Surprised this spam post hasn't been deleted yet.
Much easier and much more fun to mock it.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post

Last night, I was working a JV tourney game. Standing near the coach during some free throws, early 4th quarter, and his team is trailing by 3. He says, "Maybe we can have an exciting finish, like last night's Super Bowl." I reply, "Well, if it comes down to that, you better run it in -- don't pass!!"

His team ended up losing by about a dozen.