Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Re: Juulie:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
In Oregon there must be an ASEP certified person on the bench of any OSAA sponsored game.

Tim,

Along these lines, I assume then that OSAA requires mandatory ASEP certification for all coaches, including assistants. Unfortunately officials rarely get this kind of information except by osmosis.

When ejecting a head coach, I first politely ask them if they have a qualified assistant on the bench and who it is. This accomplishes two things: First - it tells me who the new acting coach will be; Second - asking them a question makes the coach change their line of thought, putting them a little off balance if you will, and the momentary confusion can really help defuse a potentially volatile situation. It's a sneaky little trick I learned in LEO training almost three decades ago and it still works.....

On the rare occasion they'd say "no" (and I've never seen this happen), we can then either quickly try to find one handy from their school or go the forfeit route.

In Juulie's case, since the boy's V coach took over, I assume all was OK......

[Edited by TimTaylor on Jan 30th, 2006 at 02:21 AM]
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

And,

Tim:

I was simply trying to comment on Juulie's statement about the confusion of who was taking over.

I am sure you are aware that by 2010 ALL OFFICIALS that work Oregon State Activities Association sponsored athletic events will be required to be ASEP certified.

The requirement, which starts a three year phase-in starting in 2007, is tied to any game fee increases being granted by the inter-league council.

First year officials in all sports will be the first to be required to pass both a methods class and a princples class. New officials will be hit with yet another "start-up" cost as the testing is $75.

The OAOA is attempting to find ways to assist in payment for new officials. All varsity officials in all sports will be "grandfathered" past the methods class but will be required to pass the principles section.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
In Oregon there must be an ASEP certified person on the bench of any OSAA sponsored game.
Yea, I know, my partner made that very clear. But as refs, it's not our concern is it? I mean, if there's an adult sitting there, we don't need to ask to see his credentials? I'm sure I've been told that it's not an issue for us.
I'd say that it is your concern. If your association makes this requirement clear to all of the member officials and then a situation arises for it to be adhered to you better darn well apply it.
But, Nevada, our association HASN"T made this requirement clear to all officials. In fact, we're told not to worry about OSAA requirements that aren't specifically listed for us, and this isn't one of them. We don't worry about quarters that a player is "in", we don't worry about whether a player or a coach has been suspended for one game, unless we are told otherwise. And we've certainly never been told about coaches needing ASEP certification. So I'd say it's not our concern.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jan 30th, 2006 at 11:58 AM]
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

And Tim C still hasn't answered my question about whether he was at the PBOA meeting a couple of weeks ago.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: And,

Quote:
Tim:

I was simply trying to comment on Juulie's statement about the confusion of who was taking over.

I am sure you are aware that by 2010 ALL OFFICIALS that work Oregon State Activities Association sponsored athletic events will be required to be ASEP certified.

The requirement, which starts a three year phase-in starting in 2007, is tied to any game fee increases being granted by the inter-league council.

First year officials in all sports will be the first to be required to pass both a methods class and a princples class. New officials will be hit with yet another "start-up" cost as the testing is $75.

The OAOA is attempting to find ways to assist in payment for new officials. All varsity officials in all sports will be "grandfathered" past the methods class but will be required to pass the principles section.
This, as was explained at our recent meeting, is not quite accurate. All officials (not just all varsity officials) will be grandfathered past the methods class. The state rep made that point crystal clear. He said "Everyone" in this room will be grandfathered in.

Regarding the principles class, it is only required if you wish to be eligible for tournament games. If you don't take it, can still work any regular season game.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: And,

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Tim:

This, as was explained at our recent meeting, is not quite accurate. All officials (not just all varsity officials) will be grandfathered past the methods class. The state rep made that point crystal clear. He said "Everyone" in this room will be grandfathered in.

Regarding the principles class, it is only required if you wish to be eligible for tournament games. If you don't take it, can still work any regular season game.
So are you saying that Tim was or wasn't the OAOA rep that was at our meeting?
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: And,

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tim:

I have no idea who that was speaking. I didn't catch his name. If that was Tim, then what he said at the meeting is different than what he is saying here.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: And,

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tim:

I have no idea who that was speaking. I didn't catch his name. If that was Tim, then what he said at the meeting is different than what he is saying here.
Nope - it was a different person at the meeting - PFOA member. I suppose we could look it up in the minutes.....

He didn't answer my question either - I asked about ASEP requirements for coaches & got an answer about officials, which as you pointed out differs from what we were told at the meeting. Guess we could always ask Jack......