The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been contacted by one of the esteemed members / participants of this forum with a request that we significantly reduce the number of off-topic threads and posts. This individual acknowledged that s/he was a contributor to the problem, but promised to refrain from adding to the problem in the future.

After wading through the threads this morning, I'm inclined to agree. The board is relatively busy this time of year -- it takes a while to get through all the threads. I'd rather spend my time reading / discussing officiating topics rather than forgetful cheerleaders, sleeping with the dogs, etc.

Like the individual who contacted me, I am guilty of, from time-to-time, adding a comment that doesn't advance the issue. I, too, promise to try to stop doing that.

I'd appreciate your cooperation.

Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 11:27am
In Memoriam

Bob, I think that you're over-reaching yourself. However, you're the moderator. Enjoy yourself. I'll be back when we're allowed freedom of speech.

I'm sure that the esteemed member who complained won't be missing me anyway.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Dogs wake you up early again, JR? Bob didn't say he was going delete anything or pull anybody's registration. He just asked for a voluntary reduction in noise.

Now, the fact that I'm not going to be volunteering shouldn't be too much of a problem. . .

Ok, ok, I'll try. Let me just get it out of my system now. (Deep breath. . .) Dogs, Theo, Johnny, Yankees suck, go Seahawks, lightbulb joke, stict mods, Padgett's meds, cruise ship over the int'l date line, squirrel, midgets, Dan's grumpy, JR's really grumpy, and tomorrow night is pizza and Diet Cokes.

Whew!! Ok, I'm all done till MLB's Opening Day.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 11:42am
Esteemed Participant

Wow...so no more good-natured ribbing of each other? No more sarcastic comments concerning which professional sports teams we happen to root for? No more jokes about people's stature? Just straight basketball rules talk and nothing but, right?

Sounds pretty dull to me, but yer the boss...
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I"m feeling rather out-of-sorts this morning, anyway, so I"ll just stay away for a while. I'm probably one of the worst (or most frequent? or both?) offenders, so my busy weekend should help.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been contacted by one of the esteemed members / participants of this forum with a request that we significantly reduce the number of off-topic threads and posts. This individual acknowledged that s/he was a contributor to the problem, but promised to refrain from adding to the problem in the future.

After wading through the threads this morning, I'm inclined to agree. The board is relatively busy this time of year -- it takes a while to get through all the threads. I'd rather spend my time reading / discussing officiating topics rather than forgetful cheerleaders, sleeping with the dogs, etc.

Like the individual who contacted me, I am guilty of, from time-to-time, adding a comment that doesn't advance the issue. I, too, promise to try to stop doing that.

I'd appreciate your cooperation.

Thanks.
I hate to say it, Bob, but your original post has nothing to do with basketball. I think you should delete it. If you want to write about your personal correspondence with another poster, you should do it in the General Forum.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

>>we're allowed freedom of speech<<

Oh, please. This isn't a constitutionally protected venue.

Freedom of speech is based on a restriction against the government, not bob.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

So what, you have to be considered an "esteemed" member to get a request like this to work? I've been asking for this for the past year.

Thanks anyway Bob.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Bob,

I agree with your point of view on this. I think for the most part we should stick to the topics at hand. If someone wants to talk about something like baseball, race to dog breeds I thought that is what the "off topic" forum was for. If the topic has an officiating slant to it, I have no problem. If we are going to have threads that talk about baseball all summer, I have to agree the people can find another forum to discuss those things. I have been on forums that were stricter with topics and would remove any thread that was not set up for that forum. Bob, I am here to talk officiating, not to socialize which many use this forum for. That is what email is for.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
If we are going to have threads that talk about baseball all summer, I have to agree the people can find another forum to discuss those things.
Holy Bat$h1t Robin. Me and Rut Agree on something!!!
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I don't mind them.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes

Holy Bat$h1t Robin. Me and Rut Agree on something!!!
We agree on a lot more if you actually took off your blinders and stop assuming things.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:08pm
Esteemed Participant

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I don't mind them.
Me either...but I think that's because of where I am at in the country. I think it's a regional thing and is going to vary from area to area...it might be ok in my area, but not in anyone else's...so who is to say that my area is right or wrong. It really depends.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Is this where someone is supposed to post the squirrel picture?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Is this where someone is supposed to post the squirrel picture?
As requested....