The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Boys 8th grade. Loose ball at mid court. Ball was in A frontcourt but not in team control, having been intercepted by B1 who promptly fumbled the ball toward the division line. A1 dives from his front court on his side and secures control of the ball when the ball is just about right on the division line. With the slide, ball is in backcourt, torso and above are in backcourt, hips and below are in A front court. Ugly play that looks like a backcourt violation even though my instincts told me no violation yet. I was bailed by the kid signalling for a timeout which I gladly granted (easy escape). What is the player's court status? He had front court status when he started his slide but didn't control the ball until he was touching both sides of the line and the ball was definitely in backcourt. I don't remember this one on the quiz.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:12am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by missinglink
What is the player's court status? He ....... didn't control the ball until he was touching both sides of the line and the ball was definitely in backcourt.
No violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

If he didn't control the ball until he was on the line, then A has secured team control in their backcourt: "ART. 2 . . . When a player is touching the backcourt, out of bounds or the three-point line, the player is located in backcourt, out of bounds,or inside the three-point line, respectively." Ergo, not a violation.

Let's make this more interesting. What if the A player had begun his slide and secured the ball in frontcourt, but the momentum of his slide took him across the line. Do we have a violation?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
If he didn't control the ball until he was on the line, then A has secured team control in their backcourt: "ART. 2 . . . When a player is touching the backcourt, out of bounds or the three-point line, the player is located in backcourt, out of bounds,or inside the three-point line, respectively." Ergo, not a violation.

Let's make this more interesting. What if the A player had begun his slide and secured the ball in frontcourt, but the momentum of his slide took him across the line. Do we have a violation?
Well, duh.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Well, duh.
Shut up.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:27am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
How far did the player in this more interesting play slide?
I would say in the real world it might be quite difficult to decide at what point in a slide control was actually achieved. When in doubt, no violation in this case.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Well, duh.
Shut up.
Ray, you really need to clean up your act. You're getting downright mean these days!! I mean really!
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm glad I re-read this post. I had a violation at first until I realized that B had "intercepted" the pass rather than merely tipping it.

Must be the elevation.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
"If I wanted to bang my head against the wall, I'd try explaining the intricacies of the back court violation to a Jr. High coach."
Good signature line!