The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   backcourt? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24511-backcourt.html)

missinglink Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:01am

Boys 8th grade. Loose ball at mid court. Ball was in A frontcourt but not in team control, having been intercepted by B1 who promptly fumbled the ball toward the division line. A1 dives from his front court on his side and secures control of the ball when the ball is just about right on the division line. With the slide, ball is in backcourt, torso and above are in backcourt, hips and below are in A front court. Ugly play that looks like a backcourt violation even though my instincts told me no violation yet. I was bailed by the kid signalling for a timeout which I gladly granted (easy escape). What is the player's court status? He had front court status when he started his slide but didn't control the ball until he was touching both sides of the line and the ball was definitely in backcourt. I don't remember this one on the quiz.

just another ref Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by missinglink
What is the player's court status? He ....... didn't control the ball until he was touching both sides of the line and the ball was definitely in backcourt.
No violation.

Back In The Saddle Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:19am

If he didn't control the ball until he was on the line, then A has secured team control in their backcourt: "ART. 2 . . . When a player is touching the backcourt, out of bounds or the three-point line, the player is located in backcourt, out of bounds,or inside the three-point line, respectively." Ergo, not a violation.

Let's make this more interesting. What if the A player had begun his slide and secured the ball in frontcourt, but the momentum of his slide took him across the line. Do we have a violation?

rainmaker Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:21am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
If he didn't control the ball until he was on the line, then A has secured team control in their backcourt: "ART. 2 . . . When a player is touching the backcourt, out of bounds or the three-point line, the player is located in backcourt, out of bounds,or inside the three-point line, respectively." Ergo, not a violation.

Let's make this more interesting. What if the A player had begun his slide and secured the ball in frontcourt, but the momentum of his slide took him across the line. Do we have a violation?

Well, duh.

Back In The Saddle Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:25am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Well, duh.

Shut up. :D

just another ref Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:27am

Quote:

How far did the player in this more interesting play slide?
I would say in the real world it might be quite difficult to decide at what point in a slide control was actually achieved. When in doubt, no violation in this case.

rainmaker Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:31am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Well, duh.

Shut up. :D

Ray, you really need to clean up your act. You're getting downright mean these days!! I mean really!

Adam Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:48am

I'm glad I re-read this post. I had a violation at first until I realized that B had "intercepted" the pass rather than merely tipping it.

Must be the elevation.

rainmaker Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
"If I wanted to bang my head against the wall, I'd try explaining the intricacies of the back court violation to a Jr. High coach."
Good signature line!