The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Have a two part question. I will see if I can describe it well enough.
Player A1 has the ball and is moving forward.
PLayer B1 is in front of A1 defending back pedaling with the ball.
Player A2 is behind B1. also back pedaling. Player A2 is not in a screening position. Imagine a straight line A1 than B1 than A2
A2 gets called for a moving screen.

A2 gets called for a moving screen. Two part question.
If you are not in a screening position can you get called for a moving screen. And two, can you get called for a moving screen FAR from the ball. Let's say the ball is front court and Player 1 commits a moving screen on a defender in the backcourt under the basket 50-60 ft away from the ball and the play, is that still a moving screen. My limited knowledge is that the screen has to be in the area near the ball handler in order for it to be a moving sceen violation. If you are away from the ball, how can it be a moving screen as you are not screening the defender from anything especially the ball??
I was told by the refs that you do not have to be in a screening postition in order for it be a moving screen, to which I asked how can it be a moving sceen if the player isn't screening anything??
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I know saying this is going to bring some anal officials to say something. There really is no such thing as a "moving screen." The term is not used anywhere in the "current" rulebook. A screen can be illegal while stationary or moving. The same goes for a screen can be ruled legal and illegal while stationary and moving. The term you should be using is "illegal screen" not "moving screen."

An illegal screen can be called anywhere on the court at anytime. Illegal screens have nothing to do with where it takes place on the floor; it does have to be based on "screening position." There is no such thing in the rules other than guidelines for what is legal and what is illegal. There is nothing that states an illegal screen cannot be called anywhere on the floor if the rules are violated. Usually as a rule of thumb officials might make a call based on whether the contact put someone at a disadvantage, but that can take place anywhere. There is not such thing as "screening position" and I would not know what that means or what you meant by saying that.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 81artmonk
Player A2 is behind B1. also back pedaling. Player A2 is not in a screening position. Imagine a straight line A1 than B1 than A2

If you are not in a screening position can you get called for a moving screen. And two, can you get called for a moving screen FAR from the ball. Let's say the ball is front court and Player 1 commits a moving screen on a defender in the backcourt under the basket 50-60 ft away from the ball and the play, is that still a moving screen. My limited knowledge is that the screen has to be in the area near the ball handler in order for it to be a moving sceen violation. If you are away from the ball, how can it be a moving screen as you are not screening the defender from anything especially the ball??
I was told by the refs that you do not have to be in a screening postition in order for it be a moving screen, to which I asked how can it be a moving sceen if the player isn't screening anything??
A moving screen is a legal play and is defined in rule 4-40-6.

When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener is moving, the opponent is responsible for contact if the screener slows up or stops.

An illegal screen can be anything that doesn't meet the defin ition of a legal screen.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 25th, 2006 at 10:46 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

To further clarify, there's no such thing as a "moving screen violation." Illegal screens are fouls, so, by rule, they require contact. If there is no contact or the contact is ruled incidental, there is no rules infraction regardless of whether a screen was set improperly, according to the screening rules that fall under the definition of guarding and screen in Rule 4.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 81artmonk

If you are not in a screening position can you get called for a moving screen.
[/q]

I don't know what you mean by "a screening position", but if there was no contact, there was (shouldn't have been) a foul.

Quote:
And two, can you get called for a moving screen FAR from the ball.
Yes, but the "severity" of the foul probably has to be higher before the illegal screen will prevent normal offensive or defensive maneuvers.

Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

No contact, no foul.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Agreed, A screener can move all over court. If the defender stops and goes around the screener without contacting him/her, then you have no violation.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The moving screen exists, but it isn't always illegal. For there to be a foul there has to be contact. If the "screen-ee" moves to avoid the contact, then there's no foul. It's that simple. If there is contact, and the screener was in place such that the screen-ee could have gone around, then it's a legal screen, and the screener is allowed to move slightly to protect herself from impending contact, such as putting her arms across her torso, or moving feet slightly to "brace". Also, if the screener has legal postiion, and then moves back away from contact, that screen is legal, even though she's moving.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

here's my problem

My girls team (middle school) gets called for "illegal screens" all the time. Becuase they are moving. By what you have stated, if no contact is made during the screen than it isn't illegal and no foul should be called....right??
Than a player can move with the ball handler screening the defender as long as no contact is made?? If this correct what section and what rule is that under?? thanks a million.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: here's my problem

Quote:
Originally posted by 81artmonk
My girls team (middle school) gets called for "illegal screens" all the time. Becuase they are moving. By what you have stated, if no contact is made during the screen than it isn't illegal and no foul should be called....right??
Than a player can move with the ball handler screening the defender as long as no contact is made?? If this correct what section and what rule is that under?? thanks a million.
I do not think any of us can comment on why calls were made. We were not there. Just understand that games at this level do not always have the most experienced officials working them. Middle school games is where a lot of newer officials start and where older officials on the downside of their career work. So you will find officials working these games that are not as versed in terminology or the rules (mostly the newer officials).

Rules 4-40 (called Screen), 10-6-3(Contact) and 4-27(incidental Contact) all cover what is legal and what is illegal on screens.

Once again, no contact no foul. If there is contact, then if the player being screened is put at a disadvantage you have a foul. Also the player being screened cannot just run through the screen and can be called for a foul as well under the right circumstances.

Peace