The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

had a bv christian game tonite. after the visiting team went down, since the home team had 14 players, a few of them went down and took a few shots on the other end. any violation?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

i think that this is not a problem unless the coach has a problem in which case.....ask the players to go back to their side, any rational person will not make an issue out of this. I think that you also need to see whether or not this is going to conflict, and be proactive...if you know when the other team comes out all hell is going to break loose make the team stay on there side, if not i see no reason why you cant let them

[Edited by Teigan on Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:17 AM]
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

No violation.

NF 4-5-2 Each team's basket for practice before the game and for the first half shall be the one furthest from it's team bench.
NF 4-5-3 The teams shall switch baskets for the send half.

The rules provide no penalty for what you described. They do provide penalties for pregame unsporting behaviour (Rule 10-1, 10-4)

The reason for your jurisdiction in viewing pre-game warmups has to do with viewing the players behavior toward their opponents (taunts, gestures, physical contact) and toward their own safety ( pregame dunking). As officials we will do everything necessary to prohibit either from happening.

Your best bet to prohibit the T's is to never allow the players to leave their half of the court. If you say you are diligent enough to monitor the situation safely should they do as you described and never have any problems then good for you.

Will it take the one incident in which the team returns without you noticing and then a taunt or fight occur to change your mind about allowing the act? If so, then you have to admit you are partly to blame for the incident because you alloed the players to warmup at the wrong end.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

I would never penalize a team for warming up at both baskets, just tell them to go down on their end.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

I had a situation once where one team was out shooting before the game and the other teach came out of the locker room and ran around the full perimeter of the court, including the opponents end where they were shooting. They didn't interfere with their shooting, but they were on that end of the court, albeit briefly. My partner walked up to the coach and said, "That's a violation. You have to stay on your end of the court. But I'll give you a warning this time." Was he wrong?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hooper
I had a situation once where one team was out shooting before the game and the other teach came out of the locker room and ran around the full perimeter of the court, including the opponents end where they were shooting. They didn't interfere with their shooting, but they were on that end of the court, albeit briefly. My partner walked up to the coach and said, "That's a violation. You have to stay on your end of the court. But I'll give you a warning this time." Was he wrong?
Well his terminology may have been imprecise. It is not a violation, but it may well be a technical foul depending upon your state's guidelines. A couple of years ago the NFHS put out a POE on pregame warmups and stressed that no unsporting acts were to be allowed. They gave examples of teams running through the opponents warmup drills. The NFHS itself did not write any regulations to govern this rather that body left it up to each individual state association to make guidelines. So you need to find out what is the procedure in your state.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by hooper
In my state the IHSA did not outlaw a team from going around the court. They did say that they cannot interfere with another team's warm-up in any way. So no team can run through their warm-ups and it would be a technical if there was a violation of our guidelines.

As Nevada said, each state has its own guidelines and what happen at your game might be a violation and might not be a violation. You need to talk to your local people and find out for yourself. Or you could reveal which state you live in and I am sure someone from that state can give you some further information.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

There is a local HS Team in my area that comes out on Home Games and runs around the court and deliberately thru the other Team's lay-up line. The Coach is a great guy but I find this to be so bush.....

I know what I was like at 15-18. If a kid from another Team was running thru my lay-up line and I was going in for a lay-up their would be a major collision.

Coaches who try to intimitate another Team with this tactic are effectively "taunting". I think putting a stop to it with an "unsportsmenlike T" might prevent an ugly incident down the road.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

the visiting team didn't come back out until a few seconds left before pre-game time ran out. so we didn't have any conflicts or complaints about it.