The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Question is What call should be made when defence B2 turns and sees a legal screen by A3 and then tries to run through the screen? A3 is knocked to the floor by the defender.

Is this a Defensive Charge or Push or what?
See case book play 10.6.3SitB(b). It's the exact play. It's a personal foul, but if you feel the contact was intentional or flagrant, you can call it that way. Judgment call.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:04pm
Administrator

Re: about 2 years ago

Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
i had a player see the screen and completly unoladed through as if in a football game --

*tweet* flagrant technical and ejection

coach was livid -- i told coach why and then said if he continued to disagree with that call that he would soon be joining his player and one more word would cost him. well next word out of coaches mouth was "that.." *tweet* T'd up the coach.

now im go report and all i say to him -- if i hear one more word about this while im walking away you will be done -- thinking he learned his lesson -- next word out of his mouth "you..." *tweet* thank you coach you are done for the day.

boys 13 or 14yr. old aau ball.

i had a parent come down to coach and made it clear to the parent that he had no rope to burn. funny how one call changes the whole landscape of the game -- 6 ft's and the ball -- i think that cost that team the game down the stretch.

1) You did not have a flagrant technical foul. The was a personal foul and this foul could have been either a common foul, an intentional foul, or a flagrant foul. I would say that you had a flagrant personal fou.

2) While I can understand your frustration with a coach who thinks it is okay for his players to commit flagrant fouls and not be penalized for them. I think that you need to work on your game management skills.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:12pm
Administrator

Re: baited?

Quote:
why have my partner explain a call i made -- its my job if a coach has an issue with me to resolve it if possible and i did that -- we let to much go as officials

this year as a coach I have received 1 tech -- i should have received about 4-5 and the one i received was actually a bad one because i asked the official why we were getting called for charges and the other team was getting called block calls.

but the 4-5 i should have gotten were either ignored or were built up from officials not having a repore and open communication with me as a coach.

deecee:

When Daryl speaks, it is like EFHutton speaking. If you don't want to follow his advice then you are going to have a very difficult officiating career.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: baited?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
why have my partner explain a call i made -- its my job if a coach has an issue with me to resolve it if possible and i did that -- we let to much go as officials

this year as a coach I have received 1 tech -- i should have received about 4-5 and the one i received was actually a bad one because i asked the official why we were getting called for charges and the other team was getting called block calls.

but the 4-5 i should have gotten were either ignored or were built up from officials not having a repore and open communication with me as a coach.

deecee:

When Daryl speaks, it is like EFHutton speaking. If you don't want to follow his advice then you are going to have a very difficult officiating career.

MTD, Sr.
Hey Mark, EF Hutton was convicted of check kiting, money laundering for the mob & implicated in the iran-contra mess. After being bought & sold a number of times they no longer exist.

I'm sure Daryl is much more trustworthy than that.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: baited?

Quote:
Quote:

deecee:

When Daryl speaks, it is like EFHutton speaking. If you
don't want to follow his advice then you are going to have a very difficult officiating career.

MTD, Sr.
deecee,

When Daryl speaks it is like MTD speaking. If you don't want to follow his advice, it is like not following MTD's advice. You may never see them at the same time.

Mulk
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:36am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: baited?

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
Quote:
Quote:

deecee:

don't want to follow his advice then you are going to have a very difficult officiating career.

MTD, Sr.
deecee,

When Daryl speaks it is like MTD speaking. If you don't want to follow his advice, it is like not following MTD's advice. You may never see them at the same time.

Mulk
Gasp!!!

Are you saying that there's two MTD Sr's?

Tell the rest of the villagers to sharpen their pitchforks. Light the torches. We're heading for the castle!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:51am
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: baited?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
Quote:
Quote:

deecee:

MTD, Sr.
deecee,

Mulk
Gasp!!!

Are you saying that there's two MTD Sr's?

Tell the rest of the villagers to sharpen their pitchforks. Light the torches. We're heading for the castle!

JR:

There is also a MTD, Jr. running about too.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
JR:

There is also a MTD, Jr. running about too.

MTD, Sr. [/B][/QUOTE]Geeze, I would hope you, Senior. I'd bet that he knows the difference between centripetal force and centrugal force too(probably since he was about two).
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Mark,

From now on just let MY words speak for themselves. Every time you try compliment me you use some example that backfires and makes me look like...like...well for lack of a better word.....YOU.

I don't need that kind of stress in my life. :-)

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Back to the original question. Saturday I worked a JV/V girls double header. In the JV game, first my parner called a visiting player for a push on a screen (no one told her it was coming), I called her for the same a few minutes later. At halftime her coach comes out and asks why we're calling that foul on her player. We explain that the screen is set legally and the defensive player needs to at least try to avoid the contact (my partner was a very experienced official and I don't have the specific wording he gave her). She gave us the "deer in the headlights look" and obviously didn't understand. First call in the 3rd quarter was a push on the same player. Coach says as I go over, "now I get what you guys were telling me." It only took 3 fouls.