The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

the 3 P's

some other wise offical on this forum had posted his rule of thumb that I now incorporate in my game...the 3 P's...profane, persistant and personal...this has helped me to draw a more consistant line when it comes to coach's...
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Dan that this went on far too long. I put a stop to this nonsense after 2 or 3 times of everything being questioned -- particularly in rec games. BTW, which association do you call for? I'm with Cardinal.

Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NothernVA_Ump Send a message via Yahoo to NothernVA_Ump
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Quote:
Originally posted by NothernVA_Ump
. What really got me was as he re entered the gym he stared me down and then proceeded to talk to the coach of the next game and told him that he had to watch out for me cause I didn't know what I was doing and I T'ed him for nothing.

That game (Game 4 for the day) went real smooth with both coaches.
Make sure you talk to the game management person on this one. One of the reasons I work very few leagues other than our actual state athletic association games is there is often no accountablilty for the coaches. If game management is not going to talk to the coach, talk to the league coordinator. If they don't back you up, don't schedule with them again and if it were me, I'd let any other officials I work with know how well they back up their officials. Hopefully the coach following him realized what a well informed coach the tossed guy was.
After the game I talked to the head official which is escalating the situation to the appropriate person. Honestly I T'ed a coach the week before for argueing in a 12-13 girls game during the intermission between the first and second quarter. After that game the coach came up to me and apoligized for his actions. He even apoligized to his team and thier parents. And I had that coach the following week with no problems. This league is not that large of a league. The parents, coachs and playeres that have been around for a few years all know most of us officials by name and 90% of the time there are no problems.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

You let this clown get away with entirely too much. You should have taken care of him the second time he came out asking for an explanation - "I'm not here to give a clinic coach, talk to the league director about getting a rule book" and walk away. Next time he asks for an explanation tell him he's distracting you from the game and the next time you'll T him up. Then do it. Or, take the direct aproach & T him right off the bat. But whatever you do, do not let a coach question you for 4 quarters. Ever.

As for getting stared down, the easiest way to handle that crap is to just disappear. If there's a dressing room go there. If not simply turn around & do not acknowledge him. Most cell phones these days have video cameras in them. During an AAU game 2 or 3 yrs ago a coach was getting loud with me. I went to my bag & got my cell phone, opened it up & started the video camera. When he asked what I was doing I played it back for him.

That shut him up.
When he reentered the gym, I turned my back to him and started talking to my fellow official and then went and had my pregame talk with one of the head coachs for the next game. The first thing out of his mouth was "you won't see or hear any problems from me." And I didn't. I will use the video technique next time I need to. Thanks for the idea.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NothernVA_Ump Send a message via Yahoo to NothernVA_Ump
Red face This Just In

I just got a call from my assigner about this game. The coach finally wrote an email stating that his 11-12 year old player did a spin move and I called a charge "like it was obvious to everyone in the gym". and he futher stated that he was thrown out because he "protested very vocally". In his discription of the play he states that the defender was not still and that the contact was made but not caused by his player (offense). Finally states that the the "referee wanted the focus to be on him and not the kids."

My only comment other than to laugh my butt off is, it is always about the players not me or the coaches. Why would a person in thier late 20s give up thier whole Sunday to officiate house league games if it was not for the kids. and that is just my own opinon.

My assigner told asked me to discribe the call again. I said that A23 did a left spin move from the left side of the lane (A23 is backing down B12). B12 was shadowing inside position. As A23 spun, B12 moved sideways to contiune blocking. A23 shoulder contacted B12 left side of chest and B12 went down.

Charge was called on A23, his 5th foul.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to see the coaches email describing the play next week. I'd say the story would be embibed to the point where his player had jumped and was about to dunk when B52 came in from the side and contacted his player.