The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing that this is a rec league game that uses NCAA rules (*if* it is real...). I'm guessing that Teigan, while perhaps not a rookie, doesn't know the rules quite as well as he might; you can't talk a partner out of something unless you *know* he is wrong. Perhaps Teigan thought the T was unwise, given the circumstances, but did not KNOW that it was a misapplication of the rules.

Just as you get some rec league players who are full of themselves, you get some rec league refs who are the same. There are no assignors, commissioners, etc. to provide guidance; no level-headed coaches to ask level-headed questions. If it happened, this was bad, but I'd just chalk it up to another rec league learning experience....

My instinct says that something like this happened, but perhaps not *exactly* as it was written, and that perhaps Teigan was even on the losing squad. If so, I'd like to suggest to Teigan that, although the call was bad, it probably was in response to abuse that the official had been taking all game, culminating in some particular abuse toward the end of the game. The ref handled the situation poorly, and likely the losing team did, too. Shocking.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

believe me when i say this is exactly the way it happened. i also didnt think i could talk to my partner, and he'd already blown the whistle and whacked him.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Teigan
i also didnt think i could talk to my partner....
You have my sympathies. I've had partners like that before and it ain't easy....
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Teigan
believe me when i say this is exactly the way it happened. i also didnt think i could talk to my partner, and he'd already blown the whistle and whacked him.
What kind of league was this? Rec league?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 09:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Sorta like the pine tar incident or the illegal stick measurement used against Billy Smith at an opportune time.
The note to self to not work with that guy again was good advice.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

hmph

I'm a little suspicious of that one, but it reminds me of a similar 'duh' call I had a while back. Eighth grade boys, crosstown rivals, close game. A1 drives the lane in traffic for the shot, and TWEET! My elderly, overly officious partner blows the play dead so A2 can tie his shoe. Brother. I guess THAT will teach him to double knot!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

TrueRookie must have a severe stuttering condition......