The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Girls V Game. A couple minutes in, after both teams have had multiple possessions, one of the players brings to your attention that the ball being used is actually a boy's ball.

How do you handle the situation?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Switch to a legal ball.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Switch to a legal ball.
OK, But do you erase points, fouls, restart the whole game? Any of that stuff?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:42pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Switch to a legal ball.
OK, But do you erase points, fouls, restart the whole game? Any of that stuff?
We didn't undo anything when it happened to our crew.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

No unequal advantage or disadvantage.

Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:45pm
Never Stop Learning

Check the ball better before the game. If mistake made get the correct ball in and play on. There is no rule in reguards to changing anything else. I would handle the same as going the wrong way at the jump. When recognized change and play on.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

A similar situation happened in my game (boys), except we started with the right ball.

Ball goes OOB and under the bleachers, kid brings me the ball so we play on. A few trips later someone realizes that the ball is small and after further inspection it was a girls ball. Oops.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 11:48pm
Administrator

Years ago, Daryl Long (Preacher) and I had a women's jr. coll. game at Owens Comm. Coll. I don't remember who OCC opponent was for the game that afternoon except that it was a league game.

At the time, OCC played its men's and women's games in its student recreation center which had its regulation size court at one of the building with bleachers on only one side of the court. The bleachers, team benches, and scorer's/timer's table were on the same side of the court; this side of the court was against the outside wall of the building. The other side of the court opened up to the rest of the building that included another basketball court and an indoor tennis court. On this side of the court a folding chair was set up about six feet off of the sideline and a second game ball was placed on it in case the balling being used ended up bounding down to the end of the building.

About three minutes into the game, the game ball went down to the other end of the buildging. We picked up the ball on the chair and resumed play. We playecd with this ball for almost ten minutes of game clock time during which OCC made five three-pointers and jumped out to a twelve point lead. About this time an OCC player went to the line for two free throws and complained that the ball was a men's ball. Oops!! We quickly got a women's ball into the game. The player missed both free throws and OCC went on to lose the game by about twenty points. That player should have kept her mouth shoot. LOL

MTD, Sr.

P.S.: Daryl was the R in the game so I am going to blame him. LOL At least that is my story and I am sticking with it.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Been there myself

I did a GV game earlier this season as part of a double-header with the BV game to follow. I was the R and checked the ball at the start of the game. When we began the 3rd quarter the scorer tossed me the ball AND I DIDN'T CHECK IT AGAIN, but merely put it in play. Now with under two minutes remaining in the 4th quarter a girl blocked a pass and the ball snapped her fingernail. She got blood all over herself, the court, and the basketball. While the school people cleaned the court, I took the ball over to the table to get a towel or something that would clean it, while I was there I noticed that there was another ball sitting on the bench next to the scorer. I asked him to just switch the balls with me. He said that he couldn't because that was the boy's ball. However, I was close enough that I could read the "SIZE 6" stamped on the ball. So, I told him that it was okay because that was in fact a girl's ball. He then asked "What happened to the boy's ball?"
Of course, I was holding it in my hands!
We quickly changed the ball and restarted play. Only the scorer and I knew until after the game when I told my partner. We had a good laugh. I told the winning coach the next week when I saw him and he thought it was funny too.

Now I check the ball at the beginning of every quarter!