Thread: Whaddya do?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Been there myself

I did a GV game earlier this season as part of a double-header with the BV game to follow. I was the R and checked the ball at the start of the game. When we began the 3rd quarter the scorer tossed me the ball AND I DIDN'T CHECK IT AGAIN, but merely put it in play. Now with under two minutes remaining in the 4th quarter a girl blocked a pass and the ball snapped her fingernail. She got blood all over herself, the court, and the basketball. While the school people cleaned the court, I took the ball over to the table to get a towel or something that would clean it, while I was there I noticed that there was another ball sitting on the bench next to the scorer. I asked him to just switch the balls with me. He said that he couldn't because that was the boy's ball. However, I was close enough that I could read the "SIZE 6" stamped on the ball. So, I told him that it was okay because that was in fact a girl's ball. He then asked "What happened to the boy's ball?"
Of course, I was holding it in my hands!
We quickly changed the ball and restarted play. Only the scorer and I knew until after the game when I told my partner. We had a good laugh. I told the winning coach the next week when I saw him and he thought it was funny too.

Now I check the ball at the beginning of every quarter!