The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BloggingRefGuy
If it's so much to our advantage to get deep as lead, why are we encouraged to be shallow as lead on a 3-person crew? I don't get it.
Keeping you closer to the action serves to cut down your angle and the space you are looking into and helps keep you from calling outside your area.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

W&S--

Thanks for the sensible answer.

I'm going deep. The positives of seeing all of the play outweigh the negatives of being tempted to look outside my area.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 08:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I rarely if never go deep. I feel you don't have to step off the baseline anymore then 4 feet to get a good angle. It is all about how you set yourself up initially, so that you can recieve the play properly that dictates whether you can get a good look or not, but once again it is all in how you were taught and if you feel comfortable being really far off the playing surface to get better looks and no one says anything about it, then do whatever you feel gets you the best look. I also caution you to start doing two things at two different positions because one is happening at the college level right now and the other is happening at the NBA level and are bound to trickle down.

1)You are going to want to stay near the baseline at L because that is what they are teaching now.

2)At slot you are going to want to stay high which means working from the free throw line up to a little higher than tip of circle. NBA just recently started employing this. They feel if you stay up instead of dropping down to bottom tip of circle that you as a whole have more open looks.

I tell you this because it will be here sooner than later.
Regardless of Mary Struckoff's new role, I don't see the NFHS running to embrace NBA mechanics. Who says those mechanics are best suited to a high school game?