The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:14am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I learned the lesson about refs being truly biased when my daughter was playing about 12 years ago. She was a freshman, playing varsity, and they went to the state tournament. The reffing was so blatantly one-sided, that when I signed up to ref, and brought up that game, it was remembered by the person who had been in charge of refs for that tournament.

You had blatantly one-sided officiating in the state tournament? What state was this? Are you saying that the person in charge acknowledged that it was one-sided? If so, what happened?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Do not presume to know me by 9 comments I have made on a message board. Im sick of you slamming fourth grade teams. Let me tell you something Darling, They all have to start somewhere. I also noticed how many times you have replied to things, you are a busy man. Seems like maybe you do more officating from your computer chair than anywhere else.
To those who have helped, there was only one offical that night so I will take your advise and talk to the director. Off night or not maybe they can bring it to his attention, then we all benefit.

[Edited by momstwo on Jan 19th, 2006 at 02:17 AM]
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:22am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by momstwo
..... there was only one offical that night ....
This is a theory, but perhaps one official is a huge part of your problem. I have called more games at this level than most people would do at gunpoint, and I promise you that a 6-4 game where many of the points were free throws was probably kinda like a wrestling match. These games are very difficult to call with 2 officials. Is it possible that the other team was bigger/more physical than your team? At this age, (and older) the more you do, the more you get away with. Possibly the other team was not as well coached, and the coached encouraged their extreme aggressiveness. There are many possibilities, but I think a biased ref in this case is not the most likely.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:27am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
My question is how is it that with so many people complaining, (it was bad enough that the other team had a problem with the calls being made)that nothing was done to justify the situation?
Still sorting this out....Who were the complaints made to, and when? Did you think complaints during the game would change the way it was called? The other team had a problem because too many calls were in their favor?
Please explain.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
I find it interesting that a man as important as Rut has posted half a dozen times on a thread about 4th grade basketball, and even more interesting that the theme of his posts are that 4th grade basketball doesn't really matter anyhow.
I did not realize that there were restrictions on certain topics. Maybe when I decide to respond to the next post, I will ask you for your opinion.

Do not wait up too late for that one.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Okay Im taking a big risk here, but the other team was not bigger, yes I will concede a little more aggresive. I would not have been so upset if they were not so obvious. Im sure you read my previous thread that said there was a young person on the clock, jump balls went to the opposite team 4 times before it was figured out that he wasnt changing the poss. The other team was going over the backs of our girls while they were shooting and taking the ball, they were crossing middle court and taking the ball from our point guard, no fouls. These are the kind of things that I was trying to talk to everyone about but noticed immediatly that people were angry with me so I didnt bother going into specifics. Yes one offical could have been a big part of the problem. Also this is a complex where 6 games were going on at once. Lots of noise and whistles.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the other teams parents were also complaining and making comments. One of the other parents asked to just have someone come and oversee what was going on with the young man and also the ref. He never made it to the court. We were not complaining at the ref.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Do not presume to know me by 9 comments I have made on a message board. Im sick of you slamming fourth grade teams. Let me tell you something Darling, They all have to start somewhere. I also noticed how many times you have replied to things, you are a busy man. Seems like maybe you do more officating from your computer chair than anywhere else.
To those who have helped, there was only one offical that night so I will take your advise and talk to the director. Off night or not maybe they can bring it to his attention, then we all benefit.

[Edited by momstwo on Jan 19th, 2006 at 02:17 AM]
If you do not want comments, than this is the wrong place for you. You should never come to the internet on any discussion boards, especially at a place to b!t#h about officials when you know nothing about it.

I usually only officiate 3 days out of a week and this is a typical off day. Not many of the games I work play on Wednesday.

Once again, get over it. I am sure there was no big write up in the paper or something about this big time game. You know the game where someone is betting so much money on that they have to fix the game so your kid can lose. Man, you might want to check your daughter's teammates for possible point shaving. You know the girl that held the ball so all night so your team could not score those final two big time points. Man, that game must have been a barn burner.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:56am
Huck Finn

Rut, what are you still doing up? Hit the button below and hit me with an email. I have some non-basketball business questions for you.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Yes, the other teams parents were also complaining and making comments.

What were the complaints from the other side? Unless they were saying "Boy, this guy is calling badly in our favor,"
your argument of the calling being one-sided is flawed.
An old saying in this business: "As long as both sides complained,(and they usually do) then everything is all right."

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
An inexperienced ref will hear comments and get really defensive and will sometimes subconsciencly penalize the kid for their parent's behavior. So if the parents are riding him, he may go out of his way to not give in and not give them any close calls. Then it looks like he is biased.

Bottom line is : parents take it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY and should just let the kids play and the referee do his job and it will be fair.

Funny thing is, the kids will lose a game on a bad call and five minutes later they want to give you a hug and ask when you will be back to work their game! The parents will hold a grudge forever. I guess that is why I like kids better than adults!

Also, I never think working a 4th grade game is below me. I like to watch kids as they learn the game and get better. Bad parents can really take the fun out of it though.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Rut: Your a Jerk! I dont know why you insist on being a horses behind! My daughters game was important to HER!!! Im sorry she is only in fourth grade and you have something against that. But get a life. Im done with you, go get off in a corner somewhere. Your opinions are useless to me. I hope your career falls flat on its face and you get to officate over nothing but 4th grade girls, they could teach you a thing or two about class.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Just another ref: ...When they werent changing poss the other teams parents were trying to tell them too.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Lady....

You need to take a chill pill and drop it.

I find it unbelievable that you've spent as much time as you have seeking out an internet forum for referees, and then venting your spleen over your 9 YEAR OLD'S basketball game - officiated by one person, likely with limited experience, and is just getting their feet wet.

Did they miss some calls - I guarantee they did. Let me ask you this - did your kid's team make all their shots that night?

Get a grip. The time you wasted here could have been spent teaching your daughter about sportsmanship, the spirit of the game, and keeping sports in its proper perspective.

Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Rut: Your a Jerk! I dont know why you insist on being a horses behind! My daughters game was important to HER!!! Im sorry she is only in fourth grade and you have something against that. But get a life. Im done with you, go get off in a corner somewhere. Your opinions are useless to me. I hope your career falls flat on its face and you get to officate over nothing but 4th grade girls, they could teach you a thing or two about class.
You are getting mad right? You have found the reason. I am not trying to help you do anything. You are a parent that needs to get a grip and understand it is just a game. There was a time in this country when kids went out and played these sports on their own and some of the greatest players came from that era. Parents like you make a mockery of these sports and why many kids do not want to play anything by the time they reach HS because you think this is all about you. I might be a jerk, but I do not have kids and making their lives miserable because you are acting like a jerk in front of your kids. You know how many times I have had little kids comment about the behavior of the adults at their games. When I was in Little League as a kid, my coach and the opposing coach got into a fight. All the players on both teams just thought it was sad by the behavior of the adult and how they were acting like children. You are doing the same. Report everyone you want to, but I can tell you no one is really going to care because someone is going to use those games as a training ground for newer officials. That is what that will always be no matter how mad and upset you get. I find your attitude as funny. You will never understand that no one really cares that is why you have been getting hammered about this issue.

Peace