The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Just spoke with my Commissioner for High School assignments. He recommended that I take a lower position and closer to the sideline as Trail. Obviously, the fact that he recommended it means that I need to do it.

We work all two man (District VI, Idaho) and I often find myself high and toward the middle of the court when the ball is located on the far side of the court. Occasionally, I will find myself with one foot in the division circle or close to the circle but in the back-court. The ball is still 20 feet or more away and I do recognize that I still retain responsibilities for the action transpiring on my side of the court.

Commissioner's concern is that no one else is doing this. They are all making a long distance call if one needs to be made. Additionally, he works a lot of 3-man college ball so his position is one that is nearly off the court and sliding down as the lead transitions to the opposite side.

What pointers can you all give me for trying this new lower, more distant position as Trail? How do I get good angles and avoid being blocked out by other players in the middle of the court?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Wow. That's a tough one. In my neck of the woods, we're trying to get the trail in 2 person OFF the sideline, and more towards the middle, just for the reasons you mentioned. From the middle you can get better angles, and if the ball swings into the lead's primary, you just have to pivot, and you have a clear look into the paint to help with the off-ball stuff.

But, I guess, do what your assignor says.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Tony --

I think your positioning when the ball is on the opposite side, but still in your area, is correct.

Maybe (and I'm just speculating), the assigner means that you should work lower when the ball is in the L's area, and / or when the ball is on your side.

I tend to work from the FT line extended and the sideline to the division line and about 2/3 of the way from the sideline to the center circle. If there's a trap on the opposite side, I'll go farther out.

Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Since, he wants you on the sideline.You should move like a boxing referee. You should constantly move to get your angles.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:58am
Do not give a damn!!

What you just describe as what you have been doing before your commissioner made his recommendations is exactly what we are taught here with 2 Person. I really do not have an answer for you other than listen to your assignor. When someone complains that is what you were told to do. Do the best job you can even though that might not put you in a good position to make many calls. For the most part here we only work 2 Person for lower level games and some very small percentage of conference might use 2 Person in varsity. Here the Trail is expected to move and move a lot.

No matter what anyone tells you to do ultimately the people that are more important to you in this issue are the people in your area. If it matters to you to work more games or to advance, I would do what my commissioner, assignor, evaluator and fellow officials said to do. We may not agree with the philosophy that you were told to do, but those guys pay the bills more than we do.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Commissioner's concern is that no one else is doing this.
That is a valid concern b/c everyone should do that.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I have worked primarily 2 man

and you will find, that to get proper angles on the action, you will be moving/floating quite a bit. I tend to pinch in towards the lane line when the ball moves to opposite side of court, I am near the sideline when it swings to my direction, I back up as the ball moves out past the 3 pt arc, and I pinch in towards the 3 point line when the play is inside. When you do pinch down or in, be careful of steals and quick ball reversals, you don't want to be "part of the action." I bet your positioning will be fine, but, cover it briefly with him in pre-game. Then, as the game unfolds, adjust your position accordingly. Can't see where the assignor would have a cow over that!
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

That's a tough one because you are working the trail position correctly for 2-person. Is there anyone you know who has the commissioner's respect who could maybe show him a couple diagrams from the NFHS official's manual showing the trail working the arc?

Working the trail as 2-person and 3-person are different and there are valid reasons that we work them different. What your commissioner is suggesting is going to end up making it very difficult to get angles in 2-person and result in lots of long-distance AT&T calls. It does a disservice to the kids.

Z
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
That's a tough one because you are working the trail position correctly for 2-person. Is there anyone you know who has the commissioner's respect who could maybe show him a couple diagrams from the NFHS official's manual showing the trail working the arc?

Working the trail as 2-person and 3-person are different and there are valid reasons that we work them different. What your commissioner is suggesting is going to end up making it very difficult to get angles in 2-person and result in lots of long-distance AT&T calls. It does a disservice to the kids.

Z
I agree. As Trail. I try to work an arc that goes from sideline-FT line extended to as much as half way across the court & between 3 pt arc & division line, depending on where the ball is.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
I agree. As Trail. I try to work an arc that goes from sideline-FT line extended to as much as half way across the court & between 3 pt arc & division line, depending on where the ball is.
I guess that's how they teach it around here. To me it depends a lot on where the ball is. But in girls, I mostly work the arc that Tim says. In boys', sometimes I find myself at the spot I'd be in for a free throw, or even back further and closer to the sideline. The trick is to move in order to get the best angle, and close enough to have credibility.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

We work an arch low to the side line to middle and the center circle.

We are instructed to go beyond the center of the court and into the back court when there is a trap high on the opposite side line.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

You can't

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Just spoke with my Commissioner for High School assignments. He recommended that I take a lower position and closer to the sideline as Trail. Obviously, the fact that he recommended it means that I need to do it.

We work all two man (District VI, Idaho) and I often find myself high and toward the middle of the court when the ball is located on the far side of the court. Occasionally, I will find myself with one foot in the division circle or close to the circle but in the back-court. The ball is still 20 feet or more away and I do recognize that I still retain responsibilities for the action transpiring on my side of the court.

Commissioner's concern is that no one else is doing this. They are all making a long distance call if one needs to be made. Additionally, he works a lot of 3-man college ball so his position is one that is nearly off the court and sliding down as the lead transitions to the opposite side.

What pointers can you all give me for trying this new lower, more distant position as Trail? How do I get good angles and avoid being blocked out by other players in the middle of the court?
"How do I get good angles and avoid being blocked out by other players in the middle of the court?"

Mechanics are often the last refuge of scoundrels.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: You can't

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
"How do I get good angles and avoid being blocked out by other players in the middle of the court?"

Mechanics are often the last refuge of scoundrels.
Huh? Good mechanics, proper mechanics are designed to get you into a position where you get those good angles, instead of being straight-lined.

I don't understand the scoundrel comment. Good, proper mechanics are the first refuge for conscientious young officials who hope to improve.

Well, maybe the rulebook is first. . .