Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 08:51am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
I find that most coaches are looking for a "moving screen" (which I too believe doesn't exist)when an offensive player is moving in the same direction as the dribbler creating what "they believe" is a moving screen.
That's exactly what a legal moving screen is. It's when a player prevents an opponent from getting to a spot by moving in the same path and direction as the opponent. You say you don't believe moving screens exist and then you give a very good description of one!

The way I see this going is by the description given, movement is legal, any contact initiated by the screener while moving = illegal screen or a block. (terminaology may be the hang up)

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I find that most coaches are looking for a "moving screen" (which I too believe doesn't exist)when an offensive player is moving in the same direction as the dribbler creating what "they believe" is a moving screen.
That's exactly what a legal moving screen is. It's when a player prevents an opponent from getting to a spot by moving in the same path and direction as the opponent. You say you don't believe moving screens exist and then you give a very good description of one!
My belief that it doesn't exist refers to the fact that it is NOT a violation. I am simply refering to the fact that the coaches are looking for a violation (moving screen) when there is none. There is no violation (moving screen) when players simply move in the same direction. Therefore, in my book - it doesn't exist. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
There is no violation (moving screen) when players simply move in the same direction. Therefore, in my book - it doesn't exist. Sorry for the confusion.
Unfortuanately, in your book (rulebook, that is), it does exist.

I totally understand your point, and I agree that it's not a foul and coaches misuse the phrase. But moving screens are described in the rulebook. That's my only point. And I'll stop annoying you now.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Wow, so we wasted all of that energy to get to the point that we all actually agree?? And here I thought popcorn was in order.

Movement while setting the screen is legal, insofar as the screener doesn't initiate contact. The term "moving screen" does not exist in the section on violations or fouls, since it is perfectly legal to move while setting a screen. Once the contact occurs, then there is an "illegal screen" which I have seen called as a block or push.

The rulebook does refer to a moving screen, but only in terms of what was posted previously.

No matter what terminology you use or what you call it, CALL IT RIGHT!!