The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:48am
MABO Member

Ok everyone, I think I know the answer to this one but want to refer to expert advice. NCAA rules.

A1 is attempting first shot of a 1 and 1. As the ball passes through the basket A2 pushes B2 directly in the back while moving for rebound position, Foul called for the push. B is also in the bonus. How should this situation be handled.

The first shot was successful, there is still 1 shot left for A1.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
First you have to decide if the ball is live or dead. If the FT hasn't ended yet, then the ball is still live. The push, if you feel it has to be called, is a personal foul. Clear the lane for A1's second shot, then allow B2 to shoot 1-and-1 as normal.

If the ball was already through the basket, then the ball was dead and the push, if intentional or flagrant, is an intentional or flagrant T. Clear the lane for A1's second shot, then allow any player from Team B to shoot 2 shots. Award the ball to Team B at midcourt for a throw-in.

Women's terminology is different, but I think the procedure is the same.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Without my books I'd say you finish shooting the back end of the bonus and then go to the other end and shoot 1 and 1 there, making sure you don't lose the correct shooter. Please let me know if there's a note on this situation that I'm not remembering. Interesting situation, I wouldn't mind the actual NFHS on this one as well.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:01am
MABO Member

If the ball is already through the basket does it have to be intentional or flagrant? It was definately a push from behind, but looked more like trying to get position for the rebound.

Thanks

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
If the ball is already through the basket does it have to be intentional or flagrant? It was definately a push from behind, but looked more like trying to get position for the rebound.

Thanks
For men, if the ball is dead contact is ignored unless it is intentional or flagrant.

For women, by rule, non-flagrant contact during a dead ball is a direct T (no IT in NCAAW). So, if the foul was called, then shoot the throws for the T and resume at POI.

In practice, the dead-ball contact would likely be ignored if it didn't rise to the level of FED or NCAAM IT.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I wouldn't mind the actual NFHS on this one as well.
Exactly the same as what Chuck wrote.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:16am
MABO Member

Thanks I did everthing you have stated except establish the intentional/flagrant part. Won't happen again, lesson learned.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Thanks from me as well. Luckily I've never had this situation, but if I do now, I'll get it right. Looks like I would have booted it before this thread.