The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Had a fun one Friday night.

In the middle of the 4th quarter, a foul on B1 was called by my partner. He checks with table on the foul count...9 fouls...1+1. Suspicious that they may be wrong, I check again...they confirm it's the 9th foul...1+1

A1 misses the first FT. The rebound is tapped and is heading OOB. B2, going after the ball, taps it back in and falls OOB. B2 clearly gets back inbounds and grabs the ball. Coach A starts going crazy (wanting a violation for B2 going OOB and being the first to touch the ball after being OOB) but nothing unsportsmanlike...just begging and pleading loudly.

After a few seconds, B3 is fouled. While reporting that foul, my partner is informed that we should have shot two...it was really 10 fouls.

Meanwile, coach A is still very agitated about the non-call on what he believed was a violation. He says again that a player can't be the first to touch the ball after being OOB if they were the last to touch it (while we all know is false). Talking with him, he settles down, I reassure him that while it is very commonly believed, it was not true for HS basketball. He asks if he could come to the locker room after the game for me to show him the rule in the book. Of course, I agreed (He's been nothing but respectful and cordial).

As we explain the correctable error to the coaches...go back and give A1 another FT...to the coaches, Team B's coach (visiting) is now visibly until we get to the part that there will be no rebound and we'll continue the game with B3's FTs. Coach B thought the foul on A would be nullified and we'd continue from A1's FT. Once being informed that the foul still counts and B3 would still be getting 2 shots, coach didn't have a problem.

All settled down quickly and we finished a fun game.

Afterwards, I crossed his path and he re-asked the question (very politely) and a couple of others he was curious about.

This was a combination of situations that could have easily exploded in our faces (and that I probably wouldn't have handled so well earlier in my career).
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Had a fun one Friday night.

In the middle of the 4th quarter, a foul on B1 was called by my partner. He checks with table on the foul count...9 fouls...1+1. Suspicious that they may be wrong, I check again...they confirm it's the 9th foul...1+1

A1 misses the first FT. The rebound is tapped and is heading OOB. B2, going after the ball, taps it back in and falls OOB. B2 clearly gets back inbounds and grabs the ball. Coach A starts going crazy (wanting a violation for B2 going OOB and being the first to touch the ball after being OOB) but nothing unsportsmanlike...just begging and pleading loudly.

After a few seconds, B3 is fouled. While reporting that foul, my partner is informed that we should have shot two...it was really 10 fouls.

Meanwile, coach A is still very agitated about the non-call on what he believed was a violation. He says again that a player can't be the first to touch the ball after being OOB if they were the last to touch it (while we all know is false). Talking with him, he settles down, I reassure him that while it is very commonly believed, it was not true for HS basketball. He asks if he could come to the locker room after the game for me to show him the rule in the book. Of course, I agreed (He's been nothing but respectful and cordial).

As we explain the correctable error to the coaches...go back and give A1 another FT...to the coaches, Team B's coach (visiting) is now visibly until we get to the part that there will be no rebound and we'll continue the game with B3's FTs. Coach B thought the foul on A would be nullified and we'd continue from A1's FT. Once being informed that the foul still counts and B3 would still be getting 2 shots, coach didn't have a problem.

All settled down quickly and we finished a fun game.

Afterwards, I crossed his path and he re-asked the question (very politely) and a couple of others he was curious about.

This was a combination of situations that could have easily exploded in our faces (and that I probably wouldn't have handled so well earlier in my career).
details, Camron, details. Names, levels, what they gave you to drink at half-time.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

ROFLMAO
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

1. Technical foul on your table! Both coaches get to come and scream at them for 1 minute.

2. "He asks if he could come to the locker room after the game for me to show him the rule in the book."

So exactly which rule did you show him?

Since there is nothing in the rules book, perhaps this case book play would convince him:
7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did. This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Nice job Camron, you guys handled it well.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

So, if I understand this correctly, all game action that occurs after the error, until the error is realized, counts? Please advise. Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Largent
So, if I understand this correctly, all game action that occurs after the error, until the error is realized, counts? Please advise. Thanks.
In general, that's true.

In some instances, flagrant personal fouls, intentional personal fouls and Ts are ignored.

See 2-10 for more details.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
In general, that's true.

In some instances, flagrant personal fouls, intentional personal fouls and Ts are ignored.

Bob, I don't have my books with me, but don't you have that wrong? My memory tells me that we NEVER ignore flagrant personal fouls, intentional personal fouls and Ts. Your statement that we ignore that stuff just seems wrong. Am I all mixed up?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Quote:
Quote:
In general, that's true.

Bob, I don't have my books with me, but don't you have that wrong? My memory tells me that we NEVER ignore flagrant personal fouls, intentional personal fouls and Ts. Your statement that we ignore that stuff just seems wrong. Am I all mixed up?
Doh!

What I meant was "In some instances, fouls other than flagrant, intentional, T are ignored.

I'm certain I typed it that way, and the d*** software deleted those words.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What I meant was "In some instances, fouls other than flagrant, intentional, T are ignored.

That sounds more familiar. D*** software.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
[/B][/QUOTE]Probably one of them Global Moderators did it. Blame them.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
1. Technical foul on your table! Both coaches get to come and scream at them for 1 minute.

2. "He asks if he could come to the locker room after the game for me to show him the rule in the book."

So exactly which rule did you show him?

Since there is nothing in the rules book, perhaps this case book play would convince him:
7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did. This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
That is exaclty what I was referring to. To coaches, they're all essentially rule books...they don't care about the distinction between the types of books.

Funny thing about it is that the coach that was shorted the FT never said a word about that....he was so distracted with the player OOB situation.