View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Had a fun one Friday night.

In the middle of the 4th quarter, a foul on B1 was called by my partner. He checks with table on the foul count...9 fouls...1+1. Suspicious that they may be wrong, I check again...they confirm it's the 9th foul...1+1

A1 misses the first FT. The rebound is tapped and is heading OOB. B2, going after the ball, taps it back in and falls OOB. B2 clearly gets back inbounds and grabs the ball. Coach A starts going crazy (wanting a violation for B2 going OOB and being the first to touch the ball after being OOB) but nothing unsportsmanlike...just begging and pleading loudly.

After a few seconds, B3 is fouled. While reporting that foul, my partner is informed that we should have shot two...it was really 10 fouls.

Meanwile, coach A is still very agitated about the non-call on what he believed was a violation. He says again that a player can't be the first to touch the ball after being OOB if they were the last to touch it (while we all know is false). Talking with him, he settles down, I reassure him that while it is very commonly believed, it was not true for HS basketball. He asks if he could come to the locker room after the game for me to show him the rule in the book. Of course, I agreed (He's been nothing but respectful and cordial).

As we explain the correctable error to the coaches...go back and give A1 another FT...to the coaches, Team B's coach (visiting) is now visibly until we get to the part that there will be no rebound and we'll continue the game with B3's FTs. Coach B thought the foul on A would be nullified and we'd continue from A1's FT. Once being informed that the foul still counts and B3 would still be getting 2 shots, coach didn't have a problem.

All settled down quickly and we finished a fun game.

Afterwards, I crossed his path and he re-asked the question (very politely) and a couple of others he was curious about.

This was a combination of situations that could have easily exploded in our faces (and that I probably wouldn't have handled so well earlier in my career).
details, Camron, details. Names, levels, what they gave you to drink at half-time.