The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game on Saturday... a big rivalry game. We are early in the first quarter and the home team is already down 13 points. the home team is getting pressed and can't dribble from their lip to their chin much less the basketball. The home team coach is upset and I understand his frustration. To make a long story short, he keeps telling me "Get them off" Get them off what? I asked him, he said get their hands off. Anyway, one of my partners has a foul and he is still up yelling so I give him the sit down gesture. He tells me, "I don't have to sit down, I am talking to you." So I ignore him because we are on the other side of the floor and he is still yelling (showing his face if you ask me). A few trips later My partner has another call, he stands up and claps and says, "That is how you call it." I didn't see if he was directly talking to me so I let it go. Finally after a made basket, I have a foul on the visiting team for holding. He stands up and points to me and says "You finally called something. WHAMMO!

My question is this. What should I have done different to either 1) prevent the T or 2) Nail him sooner?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Had a game on Saturday... a big rivalry game. We are early in the first quarter and the home team is already down 13 points. the home team is getting pressed and can't dribble from their lip to their chin much less the basketball. The home team coach is upset and I understand his frustration. To make a long story short, he keeps telling me "Get them off" Get them off what? I asked him, he said get their hands off. Anyway, one of my partners has a foul and he is still up yelling so I give him the sit down gesture. He tells me, "I don't have to sit down, I am talking to you."
Slowly walk over to where he is standing and *calmly* remind him that he is not talking to you, he is yelling at you. If he wants to talk you'll listen all day but there will be no more yelling. No biggie. Odds are good that he'll either smile & revert to his human form or he'll tell you that you can't tell him what to do. If he takes the first course you've prevented a T. If he takes the second he's earned a T.

Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I'd have wacked him on the "I don't have to sit down" comment......

Then he does have to sit down.........
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, at that point though I felt that I baited him into it. Who knows... maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I usually use the stop sign or "I have heard enough" then I feel like I have given them a fair shake... NOT LIKE THEY NEED IT. There is a fine line though either way you look at it. There are a few guys in my association that hand out T's like they are candy or something and they have earned a reputation as somebody that the coaches can't talk to. I don't want to be viewed like that. I want the coaches to feel like they can talk to me... Talk, not YELL!
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

The only problem I have is you told him to sit down, is there a coaches box where you live? If not then you should have whacked him right there. If there is then you shouldn't be telling him to sit down because he had the privledge to stand up.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Yes, there is a coaching box but it was being misused. The coaching box is to coach, not yell across the floor at officials and question every call. I have learned ANOTHER lesson and will handle it better next time. But yes, I agree with you about the coaching box.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Yes, there is a coaching box but it was being misused. The coaching box is to coach, not yell across the floor at officials and question every call. I have learned ANOTHER lesson and will handle it better next time. But yes, I agree with you about the coaching box.
I agree but you can't tell a coach to sit down if he hasn't been Teed up. You can tell him you've heard enough but don't tell him to sit down, of course he's going to object. Just T 'em up.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Another option- was he on the court while he was yelling? A coaching box warning might have been enough to get the sitch taken care of. Most coach assume they can come onto the floor as long as they are in the box.

The warning would have allowed you to go over report the warning and explain that you were in control of the game and expected him to be in control. Preventative!
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 12:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Man In Blue
Another option- was he on the court while he was yelling? A coaching box warning might have been enough to get the sitch taken care of. Most coach assume they can come onto the floor as long as they are in the box.

The warning would have allowed you to go over report the warning and explain that you were in control of the game and expected him to be in control. Preventative!
A warning for being out of the coaching box is a state-mandated procedure only. If your state has told you to use that procedure, fine. If not, you're supposed to follow the rule book. The rule book makes no allowance for any kind of a warning to be issued. If a coach is out of his box, it's supposed to be an immediate "T" under rule 10-5-1.

POE 1D in this year's rulebook sez "Head coaches have the responsibility to remain in the box. School administrators must support that by demanding their coaches to do so.( ) When violated, the official must enforce the rule with a technical foul".

Having said that, I would imagine that the general procedure used in a state without the "official warning" thingy would be an unofficial warning first instead.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach is outside the box yelling at you it is an automatic T - don't warm him for this.

If he has strayed outside the coaches box and is coaching ask him to go back in. But do not warn him multiple times, let your parter no and then give him a T if he fails to comply.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen so many Div I games where coaches are not only out of their box, but standing a foot or two out on the court yelling at their players, the refs, etc. I've NEVER seen a coach T'd for this. I wonder why?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 05:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by hooper
I've seen so many Div I games where coaches are not only out of their box, but standing a foot or two out on the court yelling at their players, the refs, etc. I've NEVER seen a coach T'd for this. I wonder why?
Why?

Because the D1 league assignors don't want coaches T'd for that and their officials do what they're told. Unless it's especially bad, the sideline dramatic class usually gets ignored. Different world than high school, is all.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hooper
Remember that the college coaching box goes all the way to the end-line.