The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

To this point in my officiating career I had not worked a High School game solo. This Friday ( The 13th ) I had to. My partner and I had just finished the first half of an up-tempo freshmen game. We where walking back to our locker room when I noticed he was not behind me any more. I went back out into the gym and there he was breathing heavily and checking his pulse. I helped him back to the locker room and then called for the AD. Apparently he had some kind of heart ailment and this was his first game back in some time. The AD felt it was important for my partner to get some medical attention. He asked if I could work the second half by myself and he would make calls to get some one for the JV game. So my partner left and I went out and explained everything to the coaches who where very understanding. The second half went smoothly and after the game the AD and both coach complemented me on the job I did. I mark it down as just another learning experience.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Working a game solo is not high on anyones list. However, it doesn't sound like it could be avoided that day. Hope your partner is ok.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Working a game solo is not high on anyones list. However, it doesn't sound like it could be avoided that day. Hope your partner is ok.
I don't know him that well, but I plan on trying to find out how he is doing today.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I too, hope your partner is ok. You deserve a big pat on the back for your effort. It appears all parties were very appreciative.

What state are you officiating in? Does your state association have any policies regarding required number of certified officials to keep the game going? Most states, I believe, require 2 certified officials for purposes of safety and liability issues for Freshman, JV and Varsity HS level ball.