The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 10:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Yet your immediate response was don't work those games, real helpful.
I run a "New Official's Class" for one of my local official's Association. One of the instructors last year said the very same thing. He said that "If you want to become a good official at the HS level, concentrate on HS games." This individual runs our mentor program and does a great job doing that. Our association leadership agrees with him as do I. We encourage our members to stick as much to HS games as possible. We do not tell them not to work JH, but we tell them they are not going to gain the same experience working JH games. I did not ask if you like the opinion. This is after all why we have this forum. It is not so one opinion can be shared.

Quote:
The level, whatever it is, will have changes of game speed from game to game within that level. You don't have to go from 5th graders to 8th graders or 8th grade to HS varsity for there to be a jump in game speed.

You can have a smaller classification one night and two top HS teams the next night and even though they are both HS varsity, game speed can be night and day.

Working one level won't make changes in game speed easier to handle, working a lot of games will.

Who said anything about HS varsity? You could work a HS Freshman game and learn about the speed of the game. There are some Class A schools at the varsity level that could not handle a Class AA Freshman team in a lot of cases.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Yet your immediate response was don't work those games, real helpful.
I run a "New Official's Class" for one of my local official's Association. One of the instructors last year said the very same thing. He said that "If you want to become a good official at the HS level, concentrate on HS games." This individual runs our mentor program and does a great job doing that. Our association leadership agrees with him as do I. We encourage our members to stick as much to HS games as possible. We do not tell them not to work JH, but we tell them they are not going to gain the same experience working JH games. I did not ask if you like the opinion. This is after all why we have this forum. It is not so one opinion can be shared.

Quote:
The level, whatever it is, will have changes of game speed from game to game within that level. You don't have to go from 5th graders to 8th graders or 8th grade to HS varsity for there to be a jump in game speed.

You can have a smaller classification one night and two top HS teams the next night and even though they are both HS varsity, game speed can be night and day.

Working one level won't make changes in game speed easier to handle, working a lot of games will.

Who said anything about HS varsity? You could work a HS Freshman game and learn about the speed of the game. There are some Class A schools at the varsity level that could not handle a Class AA Freshman team in a lot of cases.

Peace
Who is going to get better faster?

The official doing 30-50 frosh/JV games from Dec. to Feb. or the official that does those 30-50 plus another 300 or 400 games for a full 12 months?

I'll put my money on the one that has the extra 400 games of weird plays, looking stuff up in the rule book, and dealing with players, coaches and fans.

Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

If you can get school games,take them. Otherwise, NEVER do city rec leagues,non-school leagues, etc. Only bad habits, big ears, etc. can come from them.

Talk to and observe older officials who are doing HS games.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The official doing 30-50 frosh/JV games from Dec. to Feb. or the official that does those 30-50 plus another 300 or 400 games for a full 12 months?

I'll put my money on the one that has the extra 400 games of weird plays, looking stuff up in the rule book, and dealing with players, coaches and fans.

You assume that working more games makes someone better sooner. That would be bad assumption if you ask me. I know officials that have been working 20 years and are not considered an elite official in any way and cannot work anything past a freshman game. I know guys with 5 years total officiating experience and they are considered the "next coming" of the great officials. Like Horizon Men's Supervisor John Adams said, "I think some officials just get it." If everyone listened to you, many officials would never be able to work college ball without working 20+ years because they would have to work 5000 games to see all the situations.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Some of us work for associations that work HS, City/County rec, and "team players" work all levels of ball...our varsity officials help in the rec games, because of our contracts in the area, and too many games, not enough refs...everyone carries there own weight....If you refuse to work rec, I can guarantee your HS games would be cut out as well....
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

You assume that working more games makes someone better sooner. That would be bad assumption if you ask me. I know officials that have been working 20 years and are not considered an elite official in any way and cannot work anything past a freshman game. I know guys with 5 years total officiating experience and they are considered the "next coming" of the great officials. Like Horizon Men's Supervisor John Adams said, "I think some officials just get it." If everyone listened to you, many officials would never be able to work college ball without working 20+ years because they would have to work 5000 games to see all the situations.

Peace
Yeah, that is what I said.

Just because you know guys that does not mean that is the only course for everyone.

I think it is doing a new official a disservice to limit their on court experience, and making blanket statements like' "Don't work those games."

It is much better to warn them of the pitfalls and encourage them to do things the right way, and gain the experience in any way that they can.

I can tell you I learned 100 times more about the rules, game management and judgment doing rec ball, then I have doing school ball.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with both JRut and Blindzebra. I think you have to work as many games as possible, but I still think the higher you work the pace more than likely will be faster and the talent will definitely be better.

Let me quote something I saw on a website: “Being Able To Recognize What Contact Creates A Foul At The

Various LevelsÂ…

Separates The REFEREES From The Whistle Blowers.”
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I like to work kids games because I enjoy kids ! Anything wrong with that? You can teach kids to be better players and people while you ref the game. You get paid to help our little kids who look up to you. It can be fun as long as the parents don't get too stupid.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
I like to work kids games because I enjoy kids ! Anything wrong with that? You can teach kids to be better players and people while you ref the game. You get paid to help our little kids who look up to you. It can be fun as long as the parents don't get too stupid.
Why would there be a problem? Officiating is a choice and you can work as much or as little as you like. The choices you make can positively or negatively affect your officiating career as well. If you feel working those games get you better that is not a bad thing. I have a different opinion and know others that have a different opinion. You have to live with the decisions in life that you make just as I have to live with the choices I make.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
Completely agreed! Some of us have regular jobs and we choose to officiate on the side because we enjoy the game, the contact with kids, it keeps us in shape, etc. You don't have to aspire to ref at the college level to be a great referee.