The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
You could not have put 3.1 seconds on the clock 2 years ago. You would have to put 4.1 seconds if you had definite knowledge that it ran down from 4.1 to 2.1.
The point here is not putting time back on the clock. The point here is we could always tell a coach that if the difference between what you think it is, is 1 second, there's a 1 second delay in the rulebook. We could always, with definite knowledge put 1 second back on the clock. Without this knowledge, and the coach argueing for one second, my response to 1 second is lag time. Had he argued 2 seconds, I could not say there's 1 second lag time. This scenario is why I think they removed the wording in the rulebook.

Quote:
Actually the clock should be your primary concern in this case. It takes only a split second to make sure that the clock is stopped and then you can find out where your partner is signaling the ball to go.
I'm not in disagreement with this. However, I had to also make sure my partner pointed correctly in this game ending type of play. So the question comes up. What would you watch as the trail official in a close 2 person game? The clock which is on the wall away from your direct line of vision, or the ball going OOB and who was the last one to touch it?

I opted for the correct call on the OOB play and listen for the horn to determine if the game was over. Once my partner hit his whistle, he hesitated which way to point, I had a better angle and was there to assist if needed. Not to mention, there was quite a lot of activity on this OOB play. Of course there would be, kids diving for the ball, one point game, pushing here other, all kind of stuff was going on on this OOB play. Even when the play was dead, there was much to do as an official watching the dead ball activity.

Now, coach calls timeout, requests the time be set to 3.1. The clock read 2.1. We got the dust settled, didn't have to administer any technicals from dead ball activity. I conferred with my partner. Did you notice the clock when you hit your whistle? no! Did you? no! Sorry coach, see explanation above. Now, I can't legally say one second lag time. I got to come up with something else to tell the coach why I'm not changing it.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The point here is not putting time back on the clock. The point here is we could always tell a coach that if the difference between what you think it is, is 1 second, there's a 1 second delay in the rulebook. We could always, with definite knowledge put 1 second back on the clock. Without this knowledge, and the coach argueing for one second, my response to 1 second is lag time. Had he argued 2 seconds, I could not say there's 1 second lag time. This scenario is why I think they removed the wording in the rulebook.
I understand your point I was just pointing out that what you said was incorrect in case anyone was learning. Who knows they may go back to a lag time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Now, I can't legally say one second lag time. I got to come up with something else to tell the coach why I'm not changing it.
You don't have to come up with anything. If you, your partner or the table don't have definite knowledge then by rule you cannot fix it. This is the rule even if 10 seconds came off the clock.