The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the situation as it occurred Saturday in a men's league game. Before anyone starts going off about men's league, let me say I've never had any real issues doing them because the guys know I'm firm but fair in all my calls. With three minutes left in the fourth quarter a call a traveling violation on #33. He clearly traveled and is upset with my call and gets in my face. I tell him in a stern voice to "get out of my face". He then runs up court and yells back at me, "You *ucking suck"! Keep in mind there are about 50 kids waiting for us to get done so they can have there league. Whack! He's done, I come up to about the three point line and report the technical and ejection at which time he gets in my face again and shoves me with two hands. The next thing I know there about 20 people who got a hold of me. I remained calm during this whole process but I don't think I was ready for what followed. After he continued to verbally threaten me I decided enough was enough and called the police. They arrived and after some questions he was stuffed and cuffed.
At this point I had to make the decision whether or not to file assault charges on this guy. The league coordinator did not want me to file charges but after thinking about it for a while I decided it was a better example to file charges and let theses guys know this kind of stuff will never be tolerated! I told the coordinator what's to stop the next from just punching the ref instead of shoving him if you don't want to do anything in response. Anyway, just wanted to know what you guys thought and I apologize for the long thread!
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

While there's certainly nothing that justifies what he did to you, the one thing you did that concerns me is when you said "get out of my face". I would recommend that the next time someone gets in your face you step back and do nothing more than issue a technical foul. It's my opinion that everything you did after that point was the right thing to do. Hopefully you won't have to worry about seeing him in that league ever again.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Good call. Stick it to him.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:39pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Stripes, definitely file charges. That will benefit officials in all sports. Bottom line- no one should have to put up with that type of conduct.

I wonder what the league coordinator would have said if he was the one that was assaulted. One day, that league coordinator will find out that if he doesn't back his officials, he will have no officials left to back.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 06:22pm
Huck Finn

I think what you said was natural.

Why did everyone grab YOU instead of him?

Are you hurt (by the push)? I think there are some lawyers who would want to talk to you!

Did the person in charge say whether or not he was kicked out for the rest of this season? Something like this would carry a lifetime ban some places.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 06:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I am guessing if the coordinator got a hand delivered document from some guy with a badge that he would realize what pacifying accomplished. The 'get ouuta my face' probably should've been a 2nd T and 'leave the gym', but who's to blame you for some guy going haywire on you.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

You did the right thing. File charges. Adult ball is sometimes tough because you have has beens and never weres thinking that they are superstars. Stick to the charges, its the right call.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

You absolutely did the right thing. Nice work. Sorry that happened to you.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

My problem is with the police. They got the mechanics all wrong. They should have cuffed him *before* they stuffed him. Stuffing first actually makes the cuffing more difficult.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics

When they asked you who did it, I hope you didn't use the bird dog.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Good job, glad someone is setting an example.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

I hope the positive responses from the forum officials makes you feel better. You had a rotten deal from one jack-a$$.

Now go and call a great game!

Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Thumbs up

yeah, you made the right thing. It'll benefit all of us in the future if we show that we will not tolerate anything, esspecially not showing of officials!

And it's a good thing you filed charges too, let's hope he gets suspended too, he deservs it after that really

and I agree, forget this and go call some great games, show them that you wont give in for a shove
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Stripes 33,

I think you did the right thing in that situation. I feel bad that any Ref has to go thru that experience. Calling Men's Rec League Games are tough. The guys don't know the Rules and there's usually no Authoratative Figure to provide any discipline. I use to watch a Ref that did a Men Rec League in Tewksbury, Ma. The guy had the best demeanor for it that I ever saw. He'd learn a lot of the guy's names. He was always firm and positive, yet he'd diffuse every NUT that protested his calls with inoffensive comments like,

"Joe...that's how I saw it on that play."

"Fred...I'm watching the three seconds. Didn't have it there."

"Mitch, watch the contact on your screens."

This guy would work games by himself and control two adult Teams of nutty guys from 18 to 50. He was good - great non-offensive personality.

I saw another Ref at that League get into a situation similar to your's. A1 throws a 200 mph bounce pass thru the lane and it accidently ricochets off B1's foot as he was defending A2. The Nut wants "kicking" and the Ref makes the right no-call. Instant chaos!

Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Me thinks you have a couple of things to do:

Stick with the charges. Depending on what state you live in, what he did will carry a stiffer penalty then pushing someone on the sidewalk. Word will get around and it will benefit every sporting official in your area.

Sit down face to face with that league coordinator and make sure you guys both understand each others expectations. If you guys are to far off then maybe you should look for another coordinator to work for.