View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the situation as it occurred Saturday in a men's league game. Before anyone starts going off about men's league, let me say I've never had any real issues doing them because the guys know I'm firm but fair in all my calls. With three minutes left in the fourth quarter a call a traveling violation on #33. He clearly traveled and is upset with my call and gets in my face. I tell him in a stern voice to "get out of my face". He then runs up court and yells back at me, "You *ucking suck"! Keep in mind there are about 50 kids waiting for us to get done so they can have there league. Whack! He's done, I come up to about the three point line and report the technical and ejection at which time he gets in my face again and shoves me with two hands. The next thing I know there about 20 people who got a hold of me. I remained calm during this whole process but I don't think I was ready for what followed. After he continued to verbally threaten me I decided enough was enough and called the police. They arrived and after some questions he was stuffed and cuffed.
At this point I had to make the decision whether or not to file assault charges on this guy. The league coordinator did not want me to file charges but after thinking about it for a while I decided it was a better example to file charges and let theses guys know this kind of stuff will never be tolerated! I told the coordinator what's to stop the next from just punching the ref instead of shoving him if you don't want to do anything in response. Anyway, just wanted to know what you guys thought and I apologize for the long thread!