The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Being a new ref I watch a number of refs and their mechanics. I also work on mechanics that aren't instintive, like the raised fist for a foul and the raised open palm for a violation. Everyone seems to use the raised fist to signal a foul. However, when I watch senior officials, I don't see the open palm used regularly, especially at the college level (they move right into their signal, such as traveling, double dribble, etc.). I have a terrible time remembering to raise my open palm for a violation. In talking to a few senior officials I work with, they say I should use the raised palm. However, when they don't, it doesn't seem to impact me. I hear the whistle, I know my partner(s) is calling something. Is the open palm truly necessary?
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

How long is this thread gonna stay here?
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Being a new ref I watch a number of refs and their mechanics. I also work on mechanics that aren't instintive, like the raised fist for a foul and the raised open palm for a violation. Everyone seems to use the raised fist to signal a foul. However, when I watch senior officials, I don't see the open palm used regularly, especially at the college level (they move right into their signal, such as traveling, double dribble, etc.). I have a terrible time remembering to raise my open palm for a violation. In talking to a few senior officials I work with, they say I should use the raised palm. However, when they don't, it doesn't seem to impact me. I hear the whistle, I know my partner(s) is calling something. Is the open palm truly necessary?
Yes, it is an NFHS mechanic.

You are a nobody, they're grizzled veterans.

I don't agree with it but do NFHS mechanics, you have not made a name for yourself yet. And when you do become a veteran, I hope you conitnue to use NFHS mechanics.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

My real point in this...

is that I see so many senior officials not using the mechanic. Since I am a nobody, when I do become somebody, will I too be able to dispense with this mechanic? Or, do most of you somebodies diligently use the mechanic?
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics are mechanics. In the fast paced basketball games bad habits or lost good ones come into play.

Comit to yourself to use them all and your influence will be felt and observed by future referee's.

We all see it; reporting from the base line, improper signaling, no open hand, and other short cuts.

it doesn't make it right.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: My real point in this...

Quote:
is that I see so many senior officials not using the mechanic. Since I am a nobody, when I do become somebody, will I too be able to dispense with this mechanic? Or, do most of you somebodies diligently use the mechanic?
When you become a Varsity official you could dispense with the mechanic but you are setting a bad example for newer guys (like you). You also may be hurt by not geting games in the post season because you are not using NFHS mechanics. I don't see what's so hard about stopping the clock, especially when all you officiate is HS ball. I know some college officials that stop the clock in HS and I believe because of this they work regionals and states every year.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

snakey might have been a little "rough" when he said you are a nobody. but he is, i think, just restating the "do what i say not what i do". you are being evaluated by senior officials to see if you can move up. they will want you to do things "by the book." so do them that way. the fact that they dont all the time doesnt mean you shouldnt learn it that way. hypocritical, perhaps. plus, it can never hurt to learn to do things right. senior guys will always blame it on their "college experience"

so get that rules book and officials manual and practice making calls using the right mechanics. and if you have a question, go to the referee magazine website and order a book called "basketball officials guidebook: crew of two, highschool mechanics". it is awesome and will really help you learn your mechanics. then get a ref buddy or a spouse and call out vilations and fouls and practice calling them. it sounds silly, but it really helps.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 06:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

No one I have ever run into uses 100% perfect mechanics. I know many of us would like to think we do, but we by far fall short. The only thing the stop clock mechanic is going to do is show you know the mechanics. It does not show that you can officiate or that you can call plays correctly which after all is the most important thing. I agree that you should use the mechanics properly, but if the people that do the assigning in your area do not care, it really does not matter what mechanic you use. The NF mechanics are a guide, they are not absolute. If you do not believe me ask officials from North Dakota and Louisiana how important they.

I also agree with Snake-eyes on this to. Whether you say you are a nobody or someone that has not earned a certain amount of respect with the officials in your area, either way you are not in a position to do many mechanics differences at this point of your career. Once you have reached a point where you are respected by all (which might mean you have to work a couple of state title games or work D1 or any other high level college ball). Only then will you be able to do whatever you choose to do.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

That I need to know and use all the mechanics as prescribed. In fact, as I became a new ref, I thought the exact mechanics as described were mandatory. I became surprised as I payed closer attention to refs that many did not use the stop clock signal. Regardless, I continue to work at my trade. I am learning to really enjoy reffing, especially the close, hotly contested games where the gym is loud and the coaches are on edge. Call me crazy...
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 07:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: I agree

Quote:
That I need to know and use all the mechanics as prescribed. In fact, as I became a new ref, I thought the exact mechanics as described were mandatory. I became surprised as I payed closer attention to refs that many did not use the stop clock signal. Regardless, I continue to work at my trade. I am learning to really enjoy reffing, especially the close, hotly contested games where the gym is loud and the coaches are on edge. Call me crazy...
The only people that can make a certain mechanic mandatory are either assignors or the governing body (if they have some say) that is over the type of games you work. The veterans have proven things you have not at this point. Life is not fair and when you prove you can work consistently (or whatever the criteria you are judged by) or the type of games you call raises, I would stick to the proper mechanics as close as possible. Another way to learn what is acceptable and what is not is to attend as many camps as possible.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulations you have been bitten by the bug and you are well on your way to being a solid official.

And the reason you don't see alot of D1 college officials using the stop clock signal now is because most D1 schools use the PTS (Precision Timing System) to start and stop the clock. So when a ref blows his whistle the clock stops automatically, hence no need for the signal.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 07:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Congratulations you have been bitten by the bug and you are well on your way to being a solid official.

And the reason you don't see alot of D1 college officials using the stop clock signal now is because most D1 schools use the PTS (Precision Timing System) to start and stop the clock. So when a ref blows his whistle the clock stops automatically, hence no need for the signal.
I do not know that I agree with that last statement. There are conferences that do not use the PTS and the officials did not use the stop clock signal anyway. Also, I saw official not use the "stop clock signal" before the PTS was made popular. I do not think that had anything to do with the lack of usage of this particular signal.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
So when a ref blows his whistle the clock stops automatically, hence no need for the signal.
Except that the system doesn't always work properly. We have Precision Time at a dozen schools in my area and we still use the stop clock mechanic. There's really no excuse not to.

Let me tell you a little story, lmeadski. Last year, at the Louisiana State Finals, a crew of officials were using college mechanics. Mac Chauvin, the LHSAA Director of Officials, replaced the entire crew at halftime with the crew that was scheduled to work the next game.

Use the NFHS mechanics until your assignor/supervisor tells you not to.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Zoinkees!

Can't get a much firmer endorsement for using the proper mechanics, eh? I am working at the stop clock mechanic. For some reason, the foul mechanic was easy to pick up. I must be too eager to get to my violation call on the others. I am workig on it. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Let me tell you a little story, lmeadski. Last year, at the Louisiana State Finals, a crew of officials were using college mechanics. Mac Chauvin, the LHSAA Director of Officials, replaced the entire crew at halftime with the crew that was scheduled to work the next game.
That's stupid - how can you replace a crew in the middle of the game, a state finals even? The crew should have already been observed in previous postseason games and been penalized by not given a final for failure to use NFHS mechanics.

As I have stated, all of the state officials I have ever met or watched use NFHS mechanics.