The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I know a timeout cannot be called by the team scoring a basket once the other team gains possession of the ball. At what point is it determined that they gain possession? Is it when they grab the ball out of the net, when they have the ball out of bounds to inbound it, or when they actually inbound the ball?
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

It's when the ball is at the inbounder's "disposal," and is the same time when the 5-second count for the inbounding starts.

That's the official's judgment, and the last time it was discussed led to a lenghty thread. Suffice it to say that it's no later than when the inbounding team is holding the ball OOB for the throw-in.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up

I would say as sooon as the ball checks the nets and even if it hits the ground. Once the other team has the ball and it is out of bounds, then no time out. Pure judgement and timing!

[Edited by IREFU2 on Jan 10th, 2006 at 09:35 AM]
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Bob was given you the correct rule interp.

Common sense wise, if the request is reasonably made before you would normally begin your 5 second count, then grant the TO.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

QUICKLY !!!

The coach is very likely making the request as the ball clears the net. As an official you need to be ready to recognise and acknowledge his request. I would recommend that you don't make the coach pay for your inattentiveness or your failure to recognise the situation.

Be ready. Call it quick. I have yet to have a coach (now becoming the offensive team and inbounding the ball) get excited that I have taken away an opportunity for his team by calling a TO after his player has momentarily secured the ball.

If there was any dispute, I would accept the responsibility and respond to the coach that, "The request was made before you secured the ball. It was only my inability to quickly acknowledge the request that put us in this situation. Time out, White."

But I'm not going to be slow about it. If I immediately look to the bench and the coach is not calling time out... and I immediately look back to the secured ball... it is too late... missed opportunity, coach.