View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

QUICKLY !!!

The coach is very likely making the request as the ball clears the net. As an official you need to be ready to recognise and acknowledge his request. I would recommend that you don't make the coach pay for your inattentiveness or your failure to recognise the situation.

Be ready. Call it quick. I have yet to have a coach (now becoming the offensive team and inbounding the ball) get excited that I have taken away an opportunity for his team by calling a TO after his player has momentarily secured the ball.

If there was any dispute, I would accept the responsibility and respond to the coach that, "The request was made before you secured the ball. It was only my inability to quickly acknowledge the request that put us in this situation. Time out, White."

But I'm not going to be slow about it. If I immediately look to the bench and the coach is not calling time out... and I immediately look back to the secured ball... it is too late... missed opportunity, coach.