The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

2 person game. I'm going from old lead to new trail. Girl on Team A runs into the padded standard under the basket and goes down. Team B is on a fast break. I observe Team A girl moving so I knew she wasn't unconcious. Team B takes shot, grabs rebound, and I blow whistle to tend to A player. I call coach to take care of her player, just as she stands up and starts walking to play. I tell coach I need a sub for her. He asks why. I said because I stopped play for you to tend to her. He said, "I didn't tell you to stop play." I said "Coach, I was concerned about your player. I need a sub for her. Or if you want to keep her in take a time out." He took a time out.

If a ref stops a game for a player, does he/she have to come out? I thought 3.3.5 pretty much leaves no option. justification.

Or if you beckon a coach, and he refuses to tend to her, or come on to the court, do I just let it go and continue play?
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 11:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
2 person game. I'm going from old lead to new trail. Girl on Team A runs into the padded standard under the basket and goes down. Team B is on a fast break. I observe Team A girl moving so I knew she wasn't unconcious. Team B takes shot, grabs rebound, and I blow whistle to tend to A player. I call coach to take care of her player, just as she stands up and starts walking to play. I tell coach I need a sub for her. He asks why. I said because I stopped play for you to tend to her. He said, "I didn't tell you to stop play." I said "Coach, I was concerned about your player. I need a sub for her. Or if you want to keep her in take a time out." He took a time out.

If a ref stops a game for a player, does he/she have to come out? I thought 3.3.5 pretty much leaves no option. justification.

Or if you beckon a coach, and he refuses to tend to her, or come on to the court, do I just let it go and continue play?
Wrong interpretation, Frank. If an official stops play for a possible injury, the player does not have to come out of the game if they are able to continue without assistance and their coach didn't come out on the court.

Case book play 3.3.5SitB says "A1 may remain in the game if the coach does not come onto the court and A1 is ready to play immediately". That case play covers your situation well imo.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Ok...what threw me was there was a finite time involved from when the girl fell till I stopped play, and the girl never got to her feet. So I wasn't quite sure if it was "immediate."

My first concern was the player, but I see your, and the case book's point.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Wrong interpretation, Frank. If an official stops play for a possible injury, the player does not have to come out of the game if they are able to continue without assistance and their coach didn't come out on the court.

Case book play 3.3.5SitB says "A1 may remain in the game if the coach does not come onto the court and A1 is ready to play immediately". That case play covers your situation well imo.
However, if you "call for the coach", the player needs to be replaced or a timeout must be taken to keep them in the game.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:

However, if you "call for the coach", the player needs to be replaced or a timeout must be taken to keep them in the game.
And, in answer to your second question, if the coach refuses to come onto the court to tend to her, and she doesn't get up pretty quickly, you write a letter to the school and report said coach as being way, way too wrapped up in his win/loss statistics, and not nearly enough concerned about the girls. Or report it to your assignor, whichever.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And, in answer to your second question, if the coach refuses to come onto the court to tend to her, and she doesn't get up pretty quickly, you write a letter to the school and report said coach as being way, way too wrapped up in his win/loss statistics, and not nearly enough concerned about the girls. Or report it to your assignor, whichever.
Why? Report it I mean.

Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why? Report it I mean.

I guess it's the parent in me that's talking. I want the girls' well-being to be at the top of the priority list for the coach. If she's really hurt, and really can't get up, the coach should be out there tending to her. If he's not, I think he needs to be answerable to someone.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I guess it's the parent in me that's talking.
We agree on this.
Quote:
I want the girls' well-being to be at the top of the priority list for the coach. If she's really hurt, and really can't get up, the coach should be out there tending to her. If he's not, I think he needs to be answerable to someone.
I beckon the coach if the player is obviously hurt in some way or unconscious. Or if he tells me he cannot get up (something stronger than "just give me a second"). Or if the coach is walking out to see what happened anyway. And if the coach comes out he better bring along a trainer if one is available. Otherwise if he's just standing there looking I'll wait.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

We agree on this.
Quote:
I want the girls' well-being to be at the top of the priority list for the coach. If she's really hurt, and really can't get up, the coach should be out there tending to her. If he's not, I think he needs to be answerable to someone.
I beckon the coach if the player is obviously hurt in some way or unconscious. Or if he tells me he cannot get up (something stronger than "just give me a second"). Or if the coach is walking out to see what happened anyway. And if the coach comes out he better bring along a trainer if one is available. Otherwise if he's just standing there looking I'll wait.
That sounds about right, for your level. I've got to admit, in reading this thread, I'm seeing some differences in my thinking between an 8th grade girl (had a game yesterday) and a college age young man. For your sitch, what you say makes sense. When it's an 8th grade girl, I will give a few seconds, but if she's not hopping right up, I want that coach out there pronto. If he's (coach) delaying, I want to see a parent standing up and yelling at him to hurry up. That's how I was reading the original post question.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We agree on this.
Quote:
That sounds about right, for your level. I've got to admit, in reading this thread, I'm seeing some differences in my thinking between an 8th grade girl (had a game yesterday) and a college age young man. For your sitch, what you say makes sense. When it's an 8th grade girl, I will give a few seconds, but if she's not hopping right up, I want that coach out there pronto. If he's (coach) delaying, I want to see a parent standing up and yelling at him to hurry up. That's how I was reading the original post question.
Makes sense, although I wouldn't play it any different if it was a JV or V HS game.