The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,158
Tip off. I am Ump. Visitors win tip, go streaking for hoop, tweet "traveling". Coach has a good four year old crybaby tantrum. I administer throw in. Several seconds later partner calls foul on Visitors. Tantrum coach is losing it . on my way to admin the free throws he's PLEADING for calls.

In my head I am thinking oh boy , could be a short night for him or a long one for us.. I am getting players to line up and I hear this loud and proud " YOU Shut up"

Tweet and the T. Apparently partner stopped and talked after reporting the foul and coach got to sit down all night. Time elapsed 12 seconds. Thats right 7 minutes and 48 seconds left in the 1st quarter.

Any quicker , non dunking ,non admin T's out there ?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
My only question...

What took you guys so long?
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Ill have to say thats pretty fast. Did he end up staying around much longer??? I bet not.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 04:49pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,803
May 1996, Hoosier State Games, Girls' 13U Pool Play:

During the pregame warmups I notice that A1 has tape on her ears. I ask her if she is covering ear rings with the tape. She says yes. I inform her that I cannot make her remove her ear rings but she cannot play while wearing them. Ninety seconds later:

Coach A (to me): Why are you harrassing my player (A1) about her ear rings.

Me: I did no such thing. I told her that I couldn't make her remove her ear rings but I would not allow her to play while wearing them.

Coach A: The officials let her play in their game the previous night.

Me: I can't comment about the officials in your game last night, but the jewelry rule is a safety rule that cannot be waived.

Coach A: The game is about the girls not you.

Me: Coach, you are absolutley correct. The game is about the girls and you and I have a resposibility to make sure that the players are able to play under safe conditions.

Coach A: You're an idiot.

Me: Coach, I may be an idiot, but your opponent is going to star the game with two free throws and the ball at the division line while you have lost the coaching box for the entire game.

Coach A: You can't T me, the game hasn't started yet.

Me: Yes I can and I just did.

Coach A: Next, you're going to tell me that you can throw me out of the game before it even starts.

Me: Yes, Coach, that could happen.

Coach A: If you think that you can throw me out of the game before it even starts, you are a bigger idiot that I thought.

Me: I am a bigger idiot than you thought, because you are not longer in the game. Please leave the facility immediately.

Coach A: WHAT??

Me(to Assistant Coach A): Please have Coach A leave the gym immediately.

Asst. Coach A: I can't do that.

Me: Sure you can because you are your team's head coach now.

Asst. Coach A: I can't do that.

Me: Sure you can or Team B will win the game by forfeit.

The entire exchange took less that two minutes and we still had five minutes before tipoff.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 05:26pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
May 1996, Hoosier State Games, Girls' 13U Pool Play:

During the pregame warmups I notice that A1 has tape on her ears. I ask her if she is covering ear rings with the tape. She says yes. I inform her that I cannot make her remove her ear rings but she cannot play while wearing them. Ninety seconds later:

Coach A (to me): Why are you harrassing my player (A1) about her ear rings.

Me: I did no such thing. I told her that I couldn't make her remove her ear rings but I would not allow her to play while wearing them.

Coach A: The officials let her play in their game the previous night.

Me: I can't comment about the officials in your game last night, but the jewelry rule is a safety rule that cannot be waived.

Coach A: The game is about the girls not you.

Me: Coach, you are absolutley correct. The game is about the girls and you and I have a resposibility to make sure that the players are able to play under safe conditions.

Coach A: You're an idiot.

Me: Coach, I may be an idiot, but your opponent is going to star the game with two free throws and the ball at the division line while you have lost the coaching box for the entire game.

Coach A: You can't T me, the game hasn't started yet.

Me: Yes I can and I just did.

Coach A: Next, you're going to tell me that you can throw me out of the game before it even starts.

Me: Yes, Coach, that could happen.

Coach A: If you think that you can throw me out of the game before it even starts, you are a bigger idiot that I thought.

Me: I am a bigger idiot than you thought, because you are not longer in the game. Please leave the facility immediately.

Coach A: WHAT??

Me(to Assistant Coach A): Please have Coach A leave the gym immediately.

Asst. Coach A: I can't do that.

Me: Sure you can because you are your team's head coach now.

Asst. Coach A: I can't do that.

Me: Sure you can or Team B will win the game by forfeit.

The entire exchange took less that two minutes and we still had five minutes before tipoff.

MTD, Sr.
That's a righteous ejection, Mark. If more officials would stop putting up with crap from coaches like that, we wouldn't have to read "unsporting behavior" POE's every single year.

Good job.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 308
Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Thats a very creative way of getting rid of the coach. I love it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 696
Wow! Thanks for sharing!

i would LOVE to know how that coach's behavior was effected afterwards. Did s/he learn their lesson or still lurking on bench's all over high schools in America?
__________________
"Sports do not build character. They reveal it" - Heywood H. Broun
"Officiating does not build character. It reveal's it" - Ref Daddy
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 08:50pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
Thats a very creative way of getting rid of the coach. I love it.
Mark didn't get rid of the coach. The coach got rid of himself.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,557
Beat 2 direct Ts before the toss. I win.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 03:17am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,658
Direct T on the head coach at 7:58 of the 1st quarter following a foul call that he expressed his displeasure over. He used language that lacked class.

This T was followed by a 2nd direct T for the head coach during the FTs because he just wouldn't let it go.

That's the earliest DQ that I've ever had.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Direct T on the head coach at 7:58 of the 1st quarter following a foul call that he expressed his displeasure over. He used language that lacked class.

This T was followed by a 2nd direct T for the head coach during the FTs because he just wouldn't let it go.

That's the earliest DQ that I've ever had.
And I'm sure he was nodding his head when you referenced sportsmanship in the Captain's Meeting.
__________________
Do you ever feel like your stuff strutted off without you?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: S.E. Iowa
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
May 1996, Hoosier State Games, Girls' 13U Pool Play:

Me(to Assistant Coach A): Please have Coach A leave the gym immediately.

Asst. Coach A: I can't do that.

Me: Sure you can because you are your team's head coach now.

MTD, Sr.
Was this beat to death on an earlier thread?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 09:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Direct T on the head coach at 7:58 of the 1st quarter following a foul call that he expressed his displeasure over. He used language that lacked class.

This T was followed by a 2nd direct T for the head coach during the FTs because he just wouldn't let it go.

That's the earliest DQ that I've ever had.
And I'm sure he was nodding his head when you referenced sportsmanship in the Captain's Meeting.
Nodding off, you mean.
__________________
Never hit a piņata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 03:41pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,803
Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
May 1996, Hoosier State Games, Girls' 13U Pool Play:

Me(to Assistant Coach A): Please have Coach A leave the gym immediately.

Asst. Coach A: I can't do that.

Me: Sure you can because you are your team's head coach now.

MTD, Sr.
Was this beat to death on an earlier thread?

Stan:

It probably was and I was probably the lead beater.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

It probably was and I was probably the lead beater.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1