Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I also noticed that all of the guys had the US flag on the back of their shirts just below the neck line. Is this something that MA requires for HS officials, Chuck?
No, but a lot of the college officials from CT wear one. The guys from MA who wear a flag for college usually have it on the sleeve. HS officials are not required to wear a flag. Now that I think about it, neither are the college officials in the ECAC, although many do wear it.

Quote:
Also do you know most of the officials working this event?
Yeah, I know most of them. Most of the officials came from Western MA, although for Sunday's "big" TV games, several top college guys (including some D1) from CT were used. We also imported a D1 ref from Vermont. But yes, I know most of them.

Quote:
near the end of the first half in the Montrose game, the officials adjusted the clock from 6.2 seconds remaining to 5.0 . How did they determine to remove exactly 1.2 seconds?
I don't know. I wasn't there for that game and didn't hear about it until just now. Maybe I can nose around and find out what happened.

I had the final game on Sunday night and again on Monday (scheduled for 8:30 pm and 7:30 pm, respectively). But the TV games pushed everything back. I didn't take the floor until 9:20 on Sunday and left the building at 11:40.

Why, you ask? Let me tell you why.

Since the games were televised, they used a media time-out format that called for 3 90-second TO's per half; one each at the first stoppage after the 12-, 8- and 4-minute marks of each half. But they didn't reduce the number of TO's that each team was allowed to request for the game!

In MA, we don't use 30's and we play halves. So we combine the 2 30's to give an extra full. And to make up for the fact that they don't get a break after 8 minutes, we give each team an additional TO on top of that. So each team (in MA) is allowed 5 full TO's per game.

Add to that 6 mandatory TO's for the media format, and these games took forever!!

For M&M, my game Sunday went fine, for the most part. Both coaches were angels. There was a lot of BS early on (stare-downs, shoulder-bumping), but nothing serious. About 6 minutes in, we told both coaches that we were going to put a stop to it. They both told their kids to knock it off. 10 minutes in, my partner T's a kid for another "accidental" bump of the shoulders. After the T, it was pretty smooth until halftime. Both teams tried to leave the court through the same exit. Suddenly there's scuffling and loud voices. No punches or anything, but lots of posturing and "Yo, let's go!" nonsense. My partner and I got between players while our third partner was ready to take numbers. They separated and the rest of the game was pretty well-played, with no more of the nonsense.

There was lots of play above the rim, a few pretty impressive dunks. Both teams had very talented players. It was challenging, but I really felt our crew did a good job. We should have -- I should have -- issued the T sooner. One player pushed a kid out of "his" lane space. It wasn't a gentle "move over" either. Should've whacked that one.

Other than that, I felt we did pretty well. It was a good experience overall.