The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   HoopHall Classic HS Tournament (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24071-hoophall-classic-hs-tournament.html)

ChuckElias Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:23am

I don't know if anyone is interested at all, but the Basketball Hall of Fame runs a HS tournament every year for the last 5 years or so. They bring in teams from all across the country, and it's right in my backyard. Just to give an idea of the strength of the field, I thought I'd post the schedule. I'm fortunate enough to be working one of the "national" games, and one of the local games. I apologize in advance if nobody but me is interested.

JANUARY 13 - GIRLS

Longmeadow vs. Manchester (Conn.), 3:30 p.m.
Minnechaug vs. Central Catholic (Lawrence), 5
Cathedral vs. Windsor (Conn.)., 6:30
Quaboag vs. Hampshire Regional, 8
Central vs. Christ The King (Middle Village, N.Y.), 9:30

JANUARY 14 - BOYS

Pittsfield vs. Bishop Hendricken (Warwick, R.I.), 2:30 p.m.
Amherst vs. Charlestown, 4
Central Catholic (Lawrence) vs. DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, Md.), 5:30
Central vs. East Hartford (Conn.), 7
Commerce vs. New Britain (Conn.), 8:30

JANUARY 15 - BOYS

South Kent (Conn.), vs. Patterson (N.C.), 11 a.m.
Neumann-Goretti (Philadelphia) vs. Montrose Christian (Rockville, Md.), 12:45 p.m.
Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) vs. St. Andrews (Barrington, R.I.), 2:30
Notre Dame (Fitchburg) vs. Blair Academy (Blairstown, N.J.), 4
Riverdale Baptist (Upper Marlboro, Md.) vs. St. Benedict's Prep (Newark, N.J.), 5:30
St. Thomas More (Oakdale, Conn.) vs. Champlain St. Lambert (Toronto), 7
Winchendon vs. Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Va.), 8:30

JANUARY 16 - BOYS

Longmeadow vs. Minnechaug, 11 a.m.
Rice (New York) vs. Arlington Country Day (Jacksonville, Fla.), 1 p.m.
St. Anthony (Jersey City, N.J.) vs. Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.), 2:45
Holyoke vs. South Hadley, 4:30
Cathedral vs. Lawrence, 6
Central vs. Commerce, 7:30

Nate1224hoops Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't know if anyone is interested at all, but the Basketball Hall of Fame runs a HS tournament every year for the last 5 years or so. They bring in teams from all across the country, and it's right in my backyard. Just to give an idea of the strength of the field, I thought I'd post the schedule. I'm fortunate enough to be working one of the "national" games, and one of the local games. I apologize in advance if nobody but me is interested.

JANUARY 13 - GIRLS

Longmeadow vs. Manchester (Conn.), 3:30 p.m.
Minnechaug vs. Central Catholic (Lawrence), 5
Cathedral vs. Windsor (Conn.)., 6:30
Quaboag vs. Hampshire Regional, 8
Central vs. Christ The King (Middle Village, N.Y.), 9:30

JANUARY 14 - BOYS

Pittsfield vs. Bishop Hendricken (Warwick, R.I.), 2:30 p.m.
Amherst vs. Charlestown, 4
Central Catholic (Lawrence) vs. DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, Md.), 5:30
Central vs. East Hartford (Conn.), 7
Commerce vs. New Britain (Conn.), 8:30

JANUARY 15 - BOYS

Neumann-Goretti (Philadelphia) vs. Montrose Christian (Rockville, Md.), 12:45 p.m.
Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) vs. St. Andrews (Barrington, R.I.), 2:30
Notre Dame (Fitchburg) vs. Blair Academy (Blairstown, N.J.), 4
Riverdale Baptist (Upper Marlboro, Md.) vs. St. Benedict's Prep (Newark, N.J.), 5:30
St. Thomas More (Oakdale, Conn.) vs. Champlain St. Lambert (Toronto), 7
Winchendon vs. Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Va.), 8:30

JANUARY 16 - BOYS

Longmeadow vs. Minnechaug, 11 a.m.
Rice (New York) vs. Arlington Country Day (Jacksonville, Fla.), 1 p.m.
St. Anthony (Jersey City, N.J.) vs. Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.), 2:45
Holyoke vs. South Hadley, 4:30
Cathedral vs. Lawrence, 6
Central vs. Commerce, 7:30

Looks like a great field. Oak Hill Academy is located about an hour from me and they are great. I'm sure you've heard of them. Private school many great players have attended: Steve Blake (Maryland), Ron Slay (UT), Travis Watson (UVA), Jerry Stackhouse (UNC).

tomegun Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:45am

Chuck, which game do you have? It looks like Jan 15th is going to be huge with Montrose playing right before Oak Hill. Montrose is #1 in the country with a kid named Kevin Durrant, who played for Oak Hill last year. He would probably go straight to the NBA if the rules didn't change. Oak Hill has two players that played for Riverdale Baptist last year and one player who played for DeMatha last year. I just looked again, that might be the best in-season field this year! Is it a true tournament or do the teams just play their one scheduled game?

brianp134 Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:50am

Tom, Isn't Kevin Durant scheduled to go to Texas next year or is that someone else that I'm thinking about?

If all of these teams are top-notch, Riverdale Baptist boys will get beat badly. Since losing their two best players, seems as though they are starting over this year.

Junker Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:07am

I'd love to come work if I can get mileage from Iowa!

M&M Guy Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:33am

Chuck, if I help carry in your bags, can I get free admission?

Good luck, and enjoy the experience. Post pictures only if there's fishnets involved.

kenref1 Fri Jan 06, 2006 01:35pm

Congrats on the assignment!

ChuckElias Fri Jan 06, 2006 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Chuck, if I help carry in your bags, can I get free admission?
One of these years, you won't need it. Last year there was some scuttlebutt that a few of the games (like one per day) would be carried on ESPN2. But I don't think it's going to happen this year. I haven't seen or heard anything about it.

There won't be fishnets, but I'll see if I can get somebody to take a few pictures.

ChuckElias Thu Jan 12, 2006 01:12pm

I just found out last night that some of these games (but not mine) will be televised this year. If you're at all interested, here's the link. http://www.masslive.com/varsity/repu...350.xml&coll=1

Nevadaref Mon Jan 16, 2006 04:58am

I am watching a broadcast of this game on my local cable right now. CSTV is the channel. (That's College Sports Television)

They are showing Montrose waiting on the side hallway right now and talking about Durrant.

I notice that they are using a shot clock. I knew from Chuck that MA uses one in HS play.

I'm going to keep the watching the channel and see if they show any other games. If so, I will tape them.

Chuck, tell me which game you did. It would be cool to see you work! :)

Nevadaref Mon Jan 16, 2006 05:12am

Yep, they are now showing Montrose Christian of Rockville, Md., vs. Neumann-Goretti of Philadelphia at 12:45 p.m., and I'm sure that it will be followed by No.1 Oak Hill Academy of Mouth of Wilson, Va., vs. St.Andrews of Barrington R.I., at 2:30 p.m.

I've got the VCR going.

The TV posted the following rules for the tournament, which Chuck has informed us in the past are all MA HS rules:
Two 16 minute halves
30 second shot clock
5 full timeouts (no 30s)

ChuckElias Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:30am

My game last night wasn't televised. We finished up around 11:20 pm local time. What did you think of the coverage? Did they do a nice job? Believe it or not, I don't get the channel, so I didn't get to watch any of the coverage.

M&M Guy Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
My game last night wasn't televised. We finished up around 11:20 pm local time. What did you think of the coverage? Did they do a nice job? Believe it or not, I don't get the channel, so I didn't get to watch any of the coverage.
Chuck - details. We need details.

How did it go? Any unusual plays? Did the coaches behave? Were there a large number of fans, or was the gym essentially empty?

And, please tell me the only fishnets were in stands...

Nevadaref Mon Jan 16, 2006 08:22pm

Two more games are supposed to be on tonight. I'll see if they actually show them. The channel superceded the two games that were to air this morning. :(

I have like the TV coverage that I have seen. The commentary has not been critical of the officiating and the cameras are close enough to give a quality look at the action. Although sometimes the angles meant that the play or foul couldn\'t be seen.

They zoom even got in close enough to see the IAABO emblem on the officials shirts.

I also noticed that all of the guys had the US flag on the back of their shirts just below the neck line. Is this something that MA requires for HS officials, Chuck?

Also do you know most of the officials working this event?

I have a couple of questions on some things that were done. For example near the end of the first half in the Montrose game, the officials adjusted the clock from 6.2 seconds remaining to 5.0 . How did they determine to remove exactly 1.2 seconds?

Overall, I think that the stripes have done quite well.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:19am

hosed again

I got hosed again this evening in trying to see the two games on CSTV. My local cable affiliate overwrote the programming with a county government program and then a hallmark movie. The game came on for 15 seconds, then the county show for 1/2 hour, then back to the game for 1/2 hour, then the hallmark movie took over. So frustrating. :mad:

But I\'m sure that people who really get the CSTV channel had a fine time watching the games. I know that the ACD v. Rice game was good. Rice was up 10 when I lost it. I also saw that St. Anthony and Mater Dei were tied at 27 at the half, but I got nothing else. :(