The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Your Call pleaz (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24062-your-call-pleaz.html)

Scoobydoo1995 Thu Jan 05, 2006 05:51pm

A5 is standing in frontcourt (both feet on frontcourt) as he receives live ball. After one dribbel on the frontcourt he takes two dribbles on the backcourt, without moving his feet to backcourt!

are we calling a violation right here??

zebraman Thu Jan 05, 2006 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Scoobydoo1995
A5 is standing in frontcourt (both feet on frontcourt) as he receives live ball. After one dribbel on the frontcourt he takes two dribbles on the backcourt, without moving his feet to backcourt!

are we calling a violation right here??

Yes.

Z

Scoobydoo1995 Thu Jan 05, 2006 06:22pm

Can you pleaz give me your argumentation??For I strongly feel that under Fiba rules, it's NOT a violation..

btw: zebraman, are you from Holland?

zebraman Thu Jan 05, 2006 06:30pm

Quote:

Can you pleaz give me your argumentation??For I strongly feel that under Fiba rules, it's NOT a violation..

btw: zebraman, are you from Holland?

I don't know FIBA (feeble) rules. We usually assume NFHS rules on this board unless otherwise stated. You'll have to consult your feeble rule book.

I'm not from Holland. But I did stay at a Holiday Express last night and I do think that wooden shoes and tulips are kinda cool. :D

Z

Jay R Thu Jan 05, 2006 09:09pm

Backcourt violation in FIBA too.

fonzzy07 Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:18pm

Its whats called the 3 point system, if anypart of the 3 point system( both feet, and the ball) is back court it is a back court violation. just like to gain front court status you must have all 3 in the front court.

rainmaker Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by fonzzy07
Its whats called the 3 point system, if anypart of the 3 point system( both feet, and the ball) is back court it is a back court violation. just like to gain front court status you must have all 3 in the front court.
A little learning is a dangerous thing, fonzzy. The rule is way, way, way more complicated than that, and your simplification only covers about half of the questions. Here are the simplifications that are a little more complete.

To have a bc violation, you must have:

1. Team control
2. Ball with frontcourt status
3. Team A player is last to touch before the ball gains bc status
4. Team A player is first to touch after the ball gains bc status.

The three point rule is that on a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball does not have frontcourt status until both feet of the dribbler and the ball have all touched in the fc in a row, without any touching in the bc.

Sounds byzantine? yea, but if you don't learn it correctly right from the beginning, and always remind yourself of all the details, it'll come back and bite you in the butt very soon.

NICK Fri Jan 06, 2006 01:38am

Fiba rules? most definitely back-court violation!!

refTN Fri Jan 06, 2006 01:48am

Since we are talking good ole' Feeble rules did anybody know that they are using one (yes just one) of the Fiba rules (being able to touch or rebound the ball after it has contacted the rim but is still in the imaginary cylinder) as an experimental rule in the NBA D-League? They are seriously thinking about using that in the NBA.

Scoobydoo1995 Fri Jan 06, 2006 04:24am

I'll tell why I think it's not a violation:
In art 30.1.2 is stated that a player of the team in posession of the ball -that player standing on the backcourt- has got to touch the ball to make it an illegal return to backcourt. I think that's not happening in this case...

SmokeEater Fri Jan 06, 2006 08:47am

If s/he touches the ball while its in the backcourt then the player is deemed to also be in the backcourt, regardless of where his/her feet are located.

tjones1 Fri Jan 06, 2006 08:49am

Quote:

I'll tell why I think it's not a violation:
In art 30.1.2 is stated that a player of the team in posession of the ball -that player standing on the backcourt- has got to touch the ball to make it an illegal return to backcourt. I think that's not happening in this case...

All three points were in the frontcourt. One point (the ball) returned to the backcourt thus causing a violation.

Scoobydoo1995 Fri Jan 06, 2006 09:31am

@Smoke eater, so where the ball is dribbled defines the location of the player?? That's a newsflash to me...

@tjones: This point system is kinda new to me. So If a player passes it's ball to the backcourt (standing in frontcourt) it's also a violation???

SmokeEater Fri Jan 06, 2006 09:36am

Quote:

@Smoke eater, so where the ball is dribbled defines the location of the player?? That's a newsflash to me...

@tjones: This point system is kinda new to me. So If a player passes it's ball to the backcourt (standing in frontcourt) it's also a violation???

Only when the player has completely gained FC status with both feet and the ball then returns the ball to the BC. If they are dribbling the ball they are in control of it, and it is in the BC. Rainmaker's description earlier describes the criteria very well.

ChuckElias Fri Jan 06, 2006 09:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by SmokeEater
If s/he touches the ball while its in the backcourt then the player is deemed to also be in the backcourt, regardless of where his/her feet are located.
This is simply not true. Re-think this one, smokeeater.