The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 09:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wait a minute Tommy, you cannot say that here. As people of color we must accept the majority opinion on race and anything else having to do with our heritage or opinions on these issues. I guess reading Dr. Cornel West and Dr. Alvin Poussaint (or any other Black writer or philosopher that is educated and has been teaching and speaking on this issues for several years) is something we should not do. We should listen to Dr. Camron Rust about anything dealing with these issues and sit in our place.

Happy now!!

Peace
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 09:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
JR, do you really want me to answer that question? Although you are old enough to know, maybe you don't understand either. Maybe you should think about why I'm saying that.
Maybe you should tell everybody exactly whereinthehell you're coming from, Tom, without going through all this mumbo-jumbo.

I try keep the hell away from the threads like this because every damn one of them ends up like this. Now, whether I agree with somebody or not, I still think each individual still has the right to have their own opinion. It doesn't matter whether I have any respect at all for a certain opinion, I still respect the right of that individual to have that opinion. Now, obviously, you don't agree with that. So, you tell me, Tom, exactly why do you think Jeff Rutledge is entitled to have his opinion, but Camron Rust isn't also entitled to have his own opinion. Please clear that up for me.

Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JR, do you really want me to answer that question? Although you are old enough to know, maybe you don't understand either. Maybe you should think about why I'm saying that.
Tom & Jeff, We all know this is a no-win situation. Why even waste your time posting on this thread. No good can come from it. Camron has a right to his opinion, while it is tainted, we can't help him!
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 10:00pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Maybe you should tell everybody exactly whereinthehell you're coming from, Tom, without going through all this mumbo-jumbo.

I try keep the hell away from the threads like this because every damn one of them ends up like this. Now, whether I agree with somebody or not, I still think each individual still has the right to have their own opinion. It doesn't matter whether I have any respect at all for a certain opinion, I still respect the right of that individual to have that opinion. Now, obviously, you don't agree with that. So, you tell me, Tom, exactly why do you think Jeff Rutledge is entitled to have his opinion, but Camron Rust isn't also entitled to have his own opinion. Please clear that up for me.

I don't know about Camron enough to know whether he is black, white or purple. However, if he is black, his comments show he is very gullable. If he isn't, this is a subject he should stay away from. I would like for you to walk in my shoes for one day in 2006, when things are allegedly better (Ha, Ha, Ha). When it comes to topics like this your opinion is one of ignorance. Here is the definition:

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

You don't, nor never will, have the knowledge on this subject so you fit the definition. Speaking from knowledge gained by googling is vastly different from living in my skin. A smart person would realize this and back the (*expletive*) up! It still remains to be seen what you will do.
When dealing with people I know, I do not pass judgement on subjects I don't know about, I ask questions so I can learn. If I did read something in a book and was told it was wrong, i would at least consider the words of someone who has lived through a given subject.

Gentlemen, can we keep discussions about basketball officiating?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 10:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134

Tom & Jeff, We all know this is a no-win situation. Why even waste your time posting on this thread. No good can come from it. Camron has a right to his opinion, while it is tainted, we can't help him!
You are right that Camron has a right to his opinion. I also have a right to my opinion and you have a right to your opinion.

What I do not understand is why this is such an issue in the first place. I do not live in Kentucky or care what they do there.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 10:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know about Camron enough to know whether he is black, white or purple. However, if he is black, his comments show he is very gullable. If he isn't, this is a subject he should stay away from. I would like for you to walk in my shoes for one day in 2006, when things are allegedly better (Ha, Ha, Ha). When it comes to topics like this your opinion is one of ignorance. Here is the definition:

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

You don't, nor never will, have the knowledge on this subject so you fit the definition. Speaking from knowledge gained by googling is vastly different from living in my skin. A smart person would realize this and back the (*expletive*) up! It still remains to be seen what you will do.
When dealing with people I know, I do not pass judgement on subjects I don't know about, I ask questions so I can learn. If I did read something in a book and was told it was wrong, i would at least consider the words of someone who has lived through a given subject.

Gentlemen, can we keep discussions about basketball officiating?
That's sad, Tom. And it's sad because you don't have any idea at all why it's sad.

I honestly didn't expect that from you.

I guess I was wrong.

I will endeavour to do the same to you in the future as I do with Jeff Rutledge. I will keep all of my ignorant opinions to myself and will not debate any of them with you. Hopefully that will make you feel better.

Sad, sad, sad....

Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

That says it all. You don't care what he actually did...only what others have told you to conclude about him. Pretty sad.
Why is my opinion on this so important to you? I am just one person that you do not know at all. If you feel Rupp was the greatest man that ever lived, why does it matter to you if I think he was not?

Peace
I actually don't think he was the greatest ever and actually believe he was a long way from being the civil rights pioneer that he was in a position to have been. He could have done so much more but chose to let the status quo be. If that makes a person a racist, I suppose he could have been. In that case, 99% of all white Americans were racists.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 10:52pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
That's sad, Tom. And it's sad because you don't have any idea at all why it's sad.

I honestly didn't expect that from you.

I guess I was wrong.

I will endeavour to do the same to you in the future as I do with Jeff Rutledge. I will keep all of my ignorant opinions to myself and will not debate any of them with you. Hopefully that will make you feel better.

Sad, sad, sad....

Tell me why its sad. I'm not trying to be funny, I really want to know. This is a basketball officials discussion board. When we discuss basketball in that light, we don't have an issue. However, you cannot begin to understand how topics like this feel, unless of course you are a minority. Honestly, tell me if my natural, lifelong feelings cause you to lose some respect for me even though you don't and can't understand how I feel. We can agree, be friends, talk and go about whatever everyday, but that does not take away this part of life for me. I hope you are not saying or somehow suggesting that I should just get in step with what the mainstream thinks I should say, do, think or act. That would be the saddest of all.

I really want to know how you feel about this.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 10:58pm
Huck Finn

I read the post again and it is almost like you are saying I'm supposed to be somehow different than Rut or better. Tell me why what I said is sad so I will know.

Don't you think it is sad that would stop the flow of basketball related information because of social and cultural differences. I'm an official with my own experiences, skills and opinions; so is Rut. Letting our cultural differences keep you from freely communicating on this board is wrong, especially when you consider the fact that people are prejudice and do business with each other everyday.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 11:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

I actually don't think he was the greatest ever and actually believe he was a long way from being the civil rights pioneer that he was in a position to have been. He could have done so much more but chose to let the status quo be. If that makes a person a racist, I suppose he could have been. In that case, 99% of all white Americans were racists.
Cameron,

Thank you for the history lesson. Remind me to get mad at all my professors and other educators that told me things completely different than what you have. I will remember to share with them how wrong they were about the Civil Rights Movement and any other event that dealt with racial issues in this country. Thank you once again for showing me the light. Where would I be in this world without your vast knowledge of race and America?

Peace
Closed Thread