View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Every documented incident is "one side of the story" regardless of who it comes from. That's why things get written down, to show a pattern. What's naive is to think that this "adult" coach made 3 racial slurs in one game and has never done it before this far into the season.

Z
Well that sounds nice and it is nice to speculate on what the coach did before. At the end of the day that is all it is, speculation. None of our speculation is not make the letter any more believable to the person that reads it. As I have stated before, I have seen letters written and nothing was done. A fan that is not from that school or community might want to be aware that their letter might fall on deaf ears. We do not even know why the officials ejected the coach or if this was the words that got the coach in trouble. Writing a letter as a parent might raise questions, but it does not mean the superintendent or principal is going to go for what the parent says. For all we know is the coach could be the relative of superintendent and they will not believe anything negative about them. I have been on this board and read when someone made an accusation of another person and read the reaction. Then throw in something as hot as racial issues into the mix and you see many more defending the people coming to the aid of the accused and telling the accuser how crazy they are. If people behave like that here, why would I think someone that knows a person much better than most of us would here act so differently when an anonymous person makes an accusation about someone they hired or know personally? You have to be prepared for the good and the bad of what might happen. BTW, I think any letter being written or contact better comes from the tournament officials and the game officials. What ever happen to talking to the people that are in charge of the game rather than first going to someone that was not there at the game or will hear all this information second and third hand? If I was this parent I would have talked to someone on site, see what they were going to do and then write a letter if I did not get the right vibe from them. We all have the right to our opinion on this. I do not know that there is a right or wrong either way.

Peace
Jeff, you sound downright cynical! Can't imagine why....

Seriously, though, as a diehard bleeding heart liberal, I have to hope that enough action would bring about some improvement in the situation. At the same time you are right that it's possible nothing will get better. There are still a few (!) jerks and weaklings who wouldn't see this as a huge problem.

I do think that tackling both site management and the school personnel would be the most fruitful possibility. As you say, it's possible that if one of these venues isn't concerned, the other one would be upset enough to get this guy away from kids.