The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

At a recent game, there was no coaching box marked on the floor. As an official I was always taught that if there is no box on the floor then the home team MUST provide tape so that one can be marked. And if we as officials choose not to mark a box then we are opening the door for trouble. Does anyone know if there are Rules citations for what the correct action is to take if no boxes are marked???
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Anyone have a clue???
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Anyone have a clue???
Nate --

It's very possible that everyone is still sleeping, since I know a lot of businesses and agencies are closed today.

I don't have a rules citation for you, but I can tell you what we are told is that the game doesn't start until it's marked. There's no penalty or punishment, but there's no toss either.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up Too Bad for the Home Coach!!!

Quote:
At a recent game, there was no coaching box marked on the floor. As an official I was always taught that if there is no box on the floor then the home team MUST provide tape so that one can be marked. And if we as officials choose not to mark a box then we are opening the door for trouble. Does anyone know if there are Rules citations for what the correct action is to take if no boxes are marked???
We have been told that if there is no coaching box on the floor by the Varsity game, then the home coach as to sit and the visiting coach can use and imaginary box to my specifications. But, we have not encountered that yet.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 11:51am
In Memoriam

Question Re: Too Bad for the Home Coach!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
We have been told that if there is no coaching box on the floor by the Varsity game, then the home coach as to sit and the visiting coach can use and imaginary box to my specifications. But, we have not encountered that yet.
IREFU2,
How does that interpretation "create an atmosphere of sporting behavior and fair play" ?
mick
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Too Bad for the Home Coach!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
IREFU2,
How does that interpretation "create an atmosphere of sporting behavior and fair play" ?
mick
I've had several different responses. Some saying home coach must sit, some say both sit (no box), some say that game shouldnt start w/out box, etc... Is this a state by state issue or is there an overaching rule provided for by the rule book.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I had this come up this past week in a tournament game. For some reason, they had the clock set up on the opposite side of the court as usual. During the coaches/captains meeting, I told the coaches that since no coaching boxes were marked that by rule, they are required to sit today. Both coaches had a look on their face like they just lost their puppy. I then explained that if they want to be up to coach, I have no problem but if they want to be up to fuss at us, then we will have to enforce the rule. Both coaches were complete gentlemen and we had exactly zero issues.

I know some might say we should have completly enforced the coaching box rule but it worked out pretty good this time as everyone knew their perameters before we started.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

In our association we have been told that if there is no marked coaching box, both coaches must sit.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by de la hoops
In our association we have been told that if there is no marked coaching box, both coaches must sit.
Thats the second time that I have seen this response. My question is this, Why should a visting coach be punished because the home team failed to prepare the court??? Thats not right.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by de la hoops
Thats the second time that I have seen this response. My question is this, Why should a visting coach be punished because the home team failed to prepare the court??? Thats not right.
In the spirit of fair play, you would not give one coach something that the other can't have.

I suppose if you have a home coach that ALWAYS sits anyways, he might not want coaching boxes marked at his home court so nobody is up. Some coaches cannot coach from the bench and this would give him a home court advantage. ????
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

What happens if tonight at my game I decide to take the net off the goal at one end of the court?? I dont see what the difference would be. As a home team I am responsible to make sure all equiment and marking are present. What if the foul line wasnt marked?? Something should be done about the no box marked issue. At least before the game starts one should be tapped down.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
What happens if tonight at my game I decide to take the net off the goal at one end of the court?? I dont see what the difference would be. As a home team I am responsible to make sure all equiment and marking are present. What if the foul line wasnt marked?? Something should be done about the no box marked issue. At least before the game starts one should be tapped down.
Nate1224hoops,
If it bothers you so much, bring your own tape.
mick

[Note: You know you are not dealing with 4-year-olds here don't you, ...hoops?]

Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:52pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Too Bad for the Home Coach!!!

Quote:
[/B]
I've had several different responses. Some saying home coach must sit, some say both sit (no box), some say that game shouldnt start w/out box, etc... Is this a state by state issue or is there an overaching rule provided for by the rule book. [/B][/QUOTE]Rule 10-5-1 sez that a head coach may only be off their seat "within the confines of the designated coaching box". If there is no designated coaching box, then they can't be off the bench except for the exceptions listed. The FED posted something clarifying that, but R10-5-1 is good enough anyway.

If you don't have a box, you can't enforce a coaching box rule.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Nate1224hoops,
If it bothers you so much, bring your own tape.
mick

[Note: You know you are not dealing with 4-year-olds here don't you, ...hoops?]

Wow, why the sacastic answer? I am just trying to find out if there is a cut and dry answer to my question about the box. If you had read the entire post you would know that I had to put my own tape down. I just wanted to know if anyone had a RULE BOOK answer as to what has to be done in the case that the boxes arent marked.

Next time I'll phone ahead Mick to see if they have the box marked or some tape I can use. That was about the only four-year old response I have gotten so far!!!
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Too Bad for the Home Coach!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I've had several different responses. Some saying home coach must sit, some say both sit (no box), some say that game shouldnt start w/out box, etc... Is this a state by state issue or is there an overaching rule provided for by the rule book. [/B]
Rule 10-5-1 sez that a head coach may only be off their seat "within the confines of the designated coaching box". If there is no designated coaching box, then they can't be off the bench except for the exceptions listed. The FED posted something clarifying that, but R10-5-1 is good enough anyway.

If you don't have a box, you can't enforce a coaching box rule. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Citation. How would you handle the situation, if the boxes werent marked prior to the game?? Would you mark them yourself, punish Home coach by making him sit, or make both coaches sit??? Just curious....thanks again.