Thread: Disconcerting
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Before I became a ref I didn't even know this rule existed. Only once have I seen it called. It was during one of my son's games, and, the coach whose team it was called against came completely unglued!! Last Thursday, the game was tied (under 3 minutes, see-saw match, great game). The first of a 1 in 1 and, as A1 gets ready to release, B1, to his immediate right in the lane, yells, "BOX OUT!" He had plenty of time to remind his guys to box out prior to the exact moment A1 was shooting. And, he didn't whisper it, but it wasn't quite a primal yell either. We did not call disconcerting violation, no coach complained. My question is: do any of you call this, and, under what circumstances? Just how egregious does the disconcert have to be (especially when it is in a tight game, like this one).
Yes, I do.

Had a coach a couple of weeks ago who yelled "Box out!" twice on the first two FTs by the opponent. Fortunately for him, the shooter hit both. The second one was the front end of a 2 shot foul. As one of my partners was beckoning subs, I walked over to the coach. "If he misses, I'm giving him another one." He smiled and never did it again.

I also call it when the defender raises/drops his arms just as the shooter is shooting.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith