The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2001, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

OK, things are a little slow right now, so I'll throw a real-life scenario to all you whistle-lovers out there. This one happened back in January in a frosh boys game.

About a minute into the second half, A has the ball in their front court. A1 shoots, misses, and A1 rebounds. A1 puts it right back up, misses, and A2 rebounds. A2 puts it right back up, misses, and B1 rebounds. Now the fun begins.

Here's what happened sequentially in this order. B1 gets confused after his rebound and immediately goes right up with a shot attempt (obviously at the wrong basket). A3 reacts and fouls B1 on the attempt. My partner blows his whistle for the foul. The ball goes in (the wrong basket). FYI, the foul is the second of the half for Team A.

Four questions: Do the two points count? If so, for which team? Does the foul count against team A and player A3? And who gets the ball?

In advance of your answers, I will tell you that over 95% of my fellow varsity/sub-varsity officials have kicked at least one of the four questions.
Old Thu May 24, 2001, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Okay! I will take a chance!
1. Yes the two points count!
2. Team A gets the points!
3. Yes the foul counts on team A and A3
4. B gets the ball back. No shots, since a try can only be made at your basket!

AK ref SE
Old Thu May 24, 2001, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AK ref SE
Okay! I will take a chance!
1. Yes the two points count!
2. Team A gets the points!
3. Yes the foul counts on team A and A3
4. B gets the ball back. No shots, since a try can only be made at your basket!

AK ref SE
Nope, you missed the first two even though you got #4 correct.

The points do not count. This is not a shot attempt. It's only a shot attempt if the player shoots at his basket. Since it isn't a shot, the ball becomes dead as soon as the whistle is blown.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 24, 2001, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

BKTBALLREF
I stand corrected, You are right(fingers engaged prior to brain)

AK ref SE
Old Thu May 24, 2001, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my guess

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
OK, things are a little slow right now, so I'll throw a real-life scenario to all you whistle-lovers out there. This one happened back in January in a frosh boys game.

About a minute into the second half, A has the ball in their front court. A1 shoots, misses, and A1 rebounds. A1 puts it right back up, misses, and A2 rebounds. A2 puts it right back up, misses, and B1 rebounds. Now the fun begins.

Here's what happened sequentially in this order. B1 gets confused after his rebound and immediately goes right up with a shot attempt (obviously at the wrong basket). A3 reacts and fouls B1 on the attempt. My partner blows his whistle for the foul. The ball goes in (the wrong basket). FYI, the foul is the second of the half for Team A.

Four questions: Do the two points count? If so, for which team? Does the foul count against team A and player A3? And who gets the ball?

In advance of your answers, I will tell you that over 95% of my fellow varsity/sub-varsity officials have kicked at least one of the four questions.
(1) No - because a shot is only a try if it is at your own goal.
(2) Foul counts on A3.
(3) Team B gets the ball at the closest spot to the foul (as this is a common foul, before the bonus is in effect).
Old Thu May 24, 2001, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Here's my guess

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

(1) No - because a shot is only a try if it is at your own goal.
(2) Foul counts on A3.
(3) Team B gets the ball at the closest spot to the foul (as this is a common foul, before the bonus is in effect).
You cheated. I'd had already answered it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri May 25, 2001, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

And the Answer Is...

BktBallRef got it right. The answer lies in the definition of a "try." By definition, a try is a shot attempt at a team's own basket only, not the opposition's basket. Therefore, the shot attempt at the defensive end was not a try, and the foul should have immediately stopped the play... no continuation of the shot attempt like a normal shot/foul situation. If the foul had not occurred, the points would have counted for the defensive team. My partner and I kicked the play (we got three of the four correct, but we counted the points for the defensive team). But so would have all but one (of thirty or so) other officials who we talked to for the next few weeks.

Any other really wierd plays out there?
Old Fri May 25, 2001, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Sure,

A local Parochial school here has you work the JV and Varsity games.

JV game is back and forth. I ask at the end of the 3rd Q, during three TO in the fourth, and after the game if the score is good. I am told it is, and the home team wins by one.

Go to the locker room to get our jackets and stretch and keep warm for the varsity contest. We go out for warm-ups and the home book sheepishly wanders over.

"We have a problem, we added the score again and it was tied". Having no idea what their record was I pulled a baby davism. I told her I guess their record is now
7-4 and 1. I got lucky though, the visiting coach was a ref so he knew it was over. But his book sure got an earful.

Plus, we had a whole set of new problems in the varsity game. It was the only time all year I was glad to be running out of a gym.