View Single Post
Old Thu May 24, 2001, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my guess

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
OK, things are a little slow right now, so I'll throw a real-life scenario to all you whistle-lovers out there. This one happened back in January in a frosh boys game.

About a minute into the second half, A has the ball in their front court. A1 shoots, misses, and A1 rebounds. A1 puts it right back up, misses, and A2 rebounds. A2 puts it right back up, misses, and B1 rebounds. Now the fun begins.

Here's what happened sequentially in this order. B1 gets confused after his rebound and immediately goes right up with a shot attempt (obviously at the wrong basket). A3 reacts and fouls B1 on the attempt. My partner blows his whistle for the foul. The ball goes in (the wrong basket). FYI, the foul is the second of the half for Team A.

Four questions: Do the two points count? If so, for which team? Does the foul count against team A and player A3? And who gets the ball?

In advance of your answers, I will tell you that over 95% of my fellow varsity/sub-varsity officials have kicked at least one of the four questions.
(1) No - because a shot is only a try if it is at your own goal.
(2) Foul counts on A3.
(3) Team B gets the ball at the closest spot to the foul (as this is a common foul, before the bonus is in effect).