View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

First before the question, I have to set up the situation.

This is a championship game in a top notch tournament between two top rank schools in the state. The game is being officiated by three D-1 officials.

Late in the 4th team A goes on a 6-0 run going up by 2, team B calls a time out B1 has the ball on the base line, as he is walking to his bench he makes contact with A1 and fore arms him to the floor. Seeing this A2 comes over and steps near B1. Immediately a T is givin to A2 and Team A coach goes crazy because he can't believe a T wasn't given to B1.

This is A2's fifth foul and he is out of the game. Now the rub, as time is taken team A coach goes to A2 and goes off on him while they are standing for about 10 seconds. They sit down and he walks away and comes right back at A2 in his face using every word in the book and then some and the place is quiet and it is pack with people. Officials, administrators, counselors everyone is at this game. But he doesn't let up he stays on him for the entire timeout, you can feel the tense, for there is this feeling he is going to hit the kid.

My question, what is the official stand on this. No harm no foul, write a report, talk with coach, warn coach, T-coach, let go and turn your head. Is there any thing a official can do or should he do anything. No I am not second guessing the officials for I know all three of the guys well, but that is a kid and somebody's child sitting there as this coach goes off on him. Now I must say this if that was my kid sitting there it would have been an incident in the stadium and I would have probally been thrown out but to sit there and watch a grown man do this to a child was torture. Thanks appreciate the input.