The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Custom orthotics

Achilles problems may not be fixed by stretching/warm up if the root cause is the shape of your foot and your stride. To get this checked go to a professional. Sports medicine department at the local clinic worked best for me. I originally got my custom orthotics about 10 years ago when I started training for my first marathon. Most places will take a mold of your foot either by a foam process or a cast process. Orthotics are then designed to correct the flaws in your foot and stride to relieve the extra work for your achilles and the pain goes away.

Stretching/warming up properly deal with the symptoms to some extent but not necessarily the cause. My orthotics cost between $350-400 but between our joint insurance coverage the cost to me is less than $100, very much worth it. My current athletic type orthotics are made of silicon with a leather insole attached. My previous orthotics were made by a non-sports medicine provider, more of a generic common provider and were bulkier but tended to break down after a couple of years but they also relieved the pain.

I don't need to wear my orthotics for everyday use but wear them when I run, officiate or play basketball. Hiking, backpacking and other walking type activities don't cause me any problems without the orthotics.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I had this problem last season along with a Planter Fasia (sp) Muscle that was almost torn. I went to a physical therapist who also works in our association. He gave me topical steroids on my achilles heel and my foot, he got them in deeper using an ultra-sound device. After about 45 days of twice a week treatments I was good to go. He gave me several exercises to day and gave me some heel supports that helped to keep the achilles from stretching. So far this year I have had minimal problems, however it will never completely go away, so I'm told. I also use what looks like a long rubber sash to do exercises in the bed at night and that helps tremendously, my wife also likes the device! LOL You need to exercise both heels as the other one could also become problematic.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks again everyone. I talked to a trainer at the Y and she suggested using Icy/Hot or a similar product as well. I'm going to keep up the stretching and try that as well as ice. Also, it seems that they are more irritated when I wear my mid shoes as opposed to my lows. Both my mids and lows are similar shoes (addidas), bought roughly at the same time, and I wear some athletic inserts (Dr. Scholls) in both. Anyone else experience that? I'm sticking to my lows most of the time for a while to see if it makes a difference.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Thanks again everyone. I talked to a trainer at the Y and she suggested using Icy/Hot or a similar product as well. I'm going to keep up the stretching and try that as well as ice. Also, it seems that they are more irritated when I wear my mid shoes as opposed to my lows. Both my mids and lows are similar shoes (addidas), bought roughly at the same time, and I wear some athletic inserts (Dr. Scholls) in both. Anyone else experience that? I'm sticking to my lows most of the time for a while to see if it makes a difference.

I don't know if this will help you, but I had similiar problems with my AH also. I found out it was my shoes causing the small pain, the top of the mid shoe was pushing or rubbing constantly during play. So I cut a small slit on the back on my shoes so they gave when they hit my AH this has help a lot. Hope this helps
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
I have terrible planter fasiata( or however u spell it) I did the therapy thing wheere they drove meds through my foot, btu they also worked on strenghtening my calf muscel. One thing that I found to work well was to sleep with a hightop shoe at night, after reffing. It sounds odd but your feet feel great the next morning. If oyu dont want to do this places sell a sock that streaches the anchilles tendion, and plater fassia while you sleep. Its odd feeling at first, but you get used to it. For your shoes i recomend getting silicon underneath. I had a problem with this in my football cleats and that is what the trainer gave me, it was a thin layer of it and i put it in as an insole and it worked great, only downside is you need to change it like everyweek. Hope this helps